“Great sushi!”

Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Traditional Japanese Pub serving yakitori (grilled food on skewers), kushikatsu (fried food on skewers), and sushi rolls.
“Great sushi!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We came here and got several rolls (Idaho, alligator, caterpillar, Philadelphia, and yellowtail) all were very good and at a very good price, the server was very sweet and nice. Rolls basically didn't need soy sauce they were so flavorful. The caterpillar was one of the better ones I have ever had. Highly recommend. This place it right around the corner from me so I will definitely make this a frequent place. (Thur-sat after 11 they have sushi and drink deals)

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Malcolm L

Portland, Maine
“Definitely worth a visit to Kushiya Benkay!”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My partner and I visit Benkay often. We like to go at least once every two or three weeks since they've opened and in our opinion this is one of Portland's best restaurants. Our waitress remembers our names, remembers what we've ordered last - even weeks from the last time we were in - we really love the service. But best of all, the food is constantly amazing! Every time we eat at Benkay we are pleasantly surprised. Please eat here - you will not be let down!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Brian04101
Langley City, Canada
“OK food”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We ordered sushi, yakitori, katsudon and tempura udon.

Sushi was fresh, but not flavourful.

For the yakitori, we had chicken liver, ox tongue, duck breast and scallop. Except for the scallop, the other ones were too salty that one could not pick up the flavour of the ingredients.

Katsudon and tempura udon were above average and in good portions.

Service was excellent and attentive.

• Visited July 2013
Portland, Maine
“Awful food - pushy service”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Finally went to Kushiay Benkay for dinner because of its "street food" focus. The inside is nice, but those from Portland also know that this is a jinxed spot as many restaurants have failed since Bella Cucina. Before we had our jackets off and had a chance to sit down, the waitress was asking us what we wanted to drink from the bar. We asked for more time, she gave us less than a minute, we were not ready. At her fourth visit in as few minutes I had to sternly ask her to give us some space. Alright already, this was supposed to be a causal dinner, we were not in an airport departure lounge. Over the years, and I hate to say this, I have learned that in many Asian restaurants, you should never order your mains and apps at the same time otherwise you will be served your main halfway through your app. This strategy clearly annoyed our waitress who clearly wanted to turn the table as quickly as possible (even though there were many empty tables).

Now the food. My partner ordered the sushi, which was o.k. nothing special but fresh. The really odd thing was that my partner asked for low sodium soy sauce, which is pretty standard at sushi restaurants. The waitress apologized that it was in packets only and dropped off a handful of foil packets of low-sodium soy sauce. Really? I decided to focus on their specialty, the yakitori grill. So, I ordered miso soup, which was awful - hard to believe, but it was verdy thin, no tofu, no scallions, it tasted like dishwater (not enough soy bean paste). The yakitori was awful, no flavor. Well, not fully true, the grilled calamari had a strong fishy flavor that had a slight slime and was really tough. Indicative of old, formerly frozen calamari. Also had the duck breast and chicken and scallion, not as terrible as the calamari, but lacked the flavor of good yakitori. Well, one more thing, the meager portions. After having spent about $15 on my bland food, I was still very hungry so had to order a side-small bowl of rice - $2.00. We will not go back as there was no indication that this was an off night. It was very pricy given the quality and portions of the food and the desire of the waitress to see you leave as soon as possible.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Twar
Portland, ME
“Great new option”
Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch on a feb Monday. The atmosphere is very cozy and nice inside - a major remodel upgrade from prior restaurants in this space. We had a fried tofu app which was delicious and delicate. Then had the lunch special box which was a feast. Miso soup followed by Grilled chicken and hot pepper skewers, avocado salad, tempura vegetables and a choice of sushi roll all for $11. Everything was fresh, flavorful, delicious. I hope this place catches on - I recommend!!