“NOTE TO ANDO-SAN....”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I - and all your regular customers (as well as all the visitors to this town) - LOVE YOUR SUSHI, LOVE YOUR SASHIMI, LOVE ALL YOUR SALADS AND EVEN LOVE ALL YOUR COOKED FOOD! OH, YES, I - and all your regular customers (as well as all the visitors to this town) - also LOVE ALL YOUR EXCELLENT AND FRIENDLY AND PROFESSIONAL SERVERS.

BUT PLEASE - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD (and I assure you I am far from alone with this plea) - DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE MUSIC PLAYING IN BENKAY!!!! (I feel all too many times like I am in an elevator, and not the excellent restaurant you put so much into). THE MUSIC IS JUST PLAIN AWFUL (and, yes, even the other diners today at lunch agreed with me).

I hear there's an excellent band from Japan, from the 60's, called Led Zeppelin....you might want to check them out.

PLEASE!!!

Separate from that...Carry On!

1  Thank theghostwriter

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at a near by hotel which made it easy to fine Benkay. We have had sushi in many places even Japan and at Benkay is was one of the best I have ever had. Very good try it I am sure you will like it.
What I liked about the restaurant was it was all locals.

1  Thank jabaldo
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Benkay's is located on a relatively quiet side street of Portland with its own parking, and has great traditional atmosphere and traditional sushi. You could get the sushi rolls with the fancy sauces, but this is really the place where you can get the traditional sushi like in the movie about Jiro in Japan.

Sat at the sushi bar and Ando gave us a first class presentation with an interesting talk about Japan. The waitress for drinks was great as well.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Everytime we go to Benkay the meal is always exceptional. We ordered the Lobster Sashimi and Tuna Tataki as an appetizer, and had the Thai Snapper sushi and Spicy Scallop roll. The food is always excellent. The wait staff is always friendly and is always there when we need something. Its always a pleasure to eat at Benkay. Benkay is the only place we like to go for sushi.

1  Thank ScarboroughNative
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Terrible customer service, bordering on ignoring us. The rolls were tasteless and poorly wrapped.
To make matters worse, the place looked dirty, and the table was sticky with something.
I would not go back!