“Consistently Top Notch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pepperclub - CLOSED

Pepperclub
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Portland, Maine
“Consistently Top Notch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

I recently went here on a whim with a friend, having been here a couple of dozen times over a 20 year period- yes, the restaurant has been here for that long, which in and of itself, should tell you something. They seat and serve until 10pm, 7 days/week.

The staff are consistently friendly, informed and passionate about their food- and provide excellent table service. The atmosphere is bright, funky and relaxed. Prices are reasonable, and they often offer a fixed priced 4-course meal deal. All or most of the food is from local sources. Emphasis is placed on vegetarian, and several of the dishes are also vegan. There are typically a few meat dishes, a couple of seafood choices, and a range of flavorful international options (Moroccan, Caribbean, Indian) etc. Many items are gluten-free. They will also alter any dish to make it gluten-free if at all possible, and they will make side dish substitutions in such cases. Now they even offer gluten-free bread, which we gladly accepted.

On a typical night, they are very busy, and getting seated can take awhile. They do not take reservations but will put you on a seating list if you just show up. On this particular night, as it was past 9pm, they were uncharacteristically quiet. My companion and I got our choice of booths. One criticism is that they provide too many menus all at once: this makes the choosing confusing. There's one blackboard list of entrees, another for appetizers, and yet another for beverages (alcohol, and non), plus a separate dessert menu. Because they mix & match on meal deals, switching back and forth between menus can be a challenge.

Our server was very patient as it took us awhile to make food choices and to place our order. She was quite accommodating on this, and with food choices, substitutions and recommendations. Our complimentary bread was yummy, as were our simple greens salads with homemade vinaigrette. We had a delicious warmed brie with crackers and apricot compote spread for an appetizer. My companion's entree was a PepperBurger with sides on gluten-free bread, and a candy/cookie assortment for dessert. I had the salmon with quinoa and veggies (which was excellent) and a rich, delicious vegan chocolate mousse for dessert. We both loved our meals- this was no surprise to us. We got out of there for $53.00 plus tip, which we felt was a good price.

I love the PepperClub. I would highly recommend it- again. If you're going for breakfast, which they serve 7 days/week.... the restaurant turns into "the new Good Egg" - this is a throwback attempt to re-create a famous breakfast joint that resided here years ago, but unfortunately did not survive a fire. Nor did the excellent food. PepperClub/Good Egg serves it up just in an average way... nothing to write home about. Go for dinner- you can skip breakfast there for any number of other places which do better.

• Visited July 2012

Scarborough, Maine
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Menu is tasty and eclectic. Thoughtful combinations of flavorful ingredients.

The stuffed peppers with horseradish sauce are amazing!

Visited July 2012
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Average meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

I have eaten at the Pepperclub twice in the past six months. In both cases I have looked forward to receiving my meal. They have a very interesting menu. In both cases I was underwhelmed. Food was average. Service is good and I like the atmosphere.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Peaks Island, ME
“Great Mix”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

Something for everyone with lots of local ingredients and able to please a vegan grazing crowd too. Anyone ready for another Red Zinger iced tea?

Visited August 2011
South Portland
“In need of a serious make over!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

I hadn't been to the Pepperclub in at least 14 years, and since I had vegan/vegetarian guests from out of town, I decided to give it a try. From the moment we sat down the atmosphere, the service, the food...were all very OFF. I felt like I was in an episode of the East coast version of "Portlandia"! I regretted my decision to return, especially with out of town guests. And it may be another 14 years before I consider returning. Hopefully, by then they will have given themselves a complete make over!