“Great solid organic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pepperclub - CLOSED

Pepperclub
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Falmouth, Maine
“Great solid organic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Pepper club service a short but diverse menu including organic meats, fish and vegetarian options. Some of the vegetarian options are also vegan. We started with the Greek salad for $10. It came with abundant amount homemade bread. It was enough for two of us. Several of us had broiled scallops which were done perfectly. One person had a vegetarian option with pasta and a variety of vegetables with two different types of cheeses- asiago and Parmesan. The other dish was meatloaf with organic bacon. We got it with a quinoa tomato salad rather than mash potatoes. The gravy was almond based and delicious. All excellent.
We finished with a vegan dessert that was like a sophisticated rice crispy cake with organic chocolate!

Arizona
“Great Food, awful service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

The first thing I have to say about this restaurant is that the food is unbelievable. The second thing, I will NEVER be going back. I went here with five other people for my birthday dinner. We were ignored for about 20 minutes after we arrived until our waitress finally came over and asked us what we wanted to drink. Apparently the drink menu that was placed on our table on top of our food menus was not the actual drink menu, and we should have been looking at a board on the wall behind us. The waitress treated us like we should have known this. After about an hour and a half of waiting we all got our food which was great. During our meal, we were never asked if we needed anything or how everything was. When it came time for the bill the waitress came over and dropped the entire $190 on one slip and walked off. She never asked how we would like it split which I was under the impression was customary at restaurants. When we asked if we could get it split up three different ways she was extremely put off and said “I wish I would have known that in the beginning.” We were all shocked that once again this waitress was making us feel like we were stupid and should have known better. I’m sure anyone reading this review agrees that most servers usually ask how patrons would like their bill before they bring it to the table. The waitress had taken our orders by memory, (perhaps an indication that she’s worked at this restaurant for a while giving crappy service), so she had some trouble splitting up the charges. Someone come over to help and we could clearly hear her voicing her frustrations with our request. When she finally brought the split checks we had to wait another 15-20 minutes before she rang up our cards. We spent 2 ½ very long hours at the Pepper Club and left feeling extremely frustrated, especially myself. I’ve worked in the service industry for ten years and take pride in giving excellent customer service to my customers. It angers me that when I went out on my BIRTHDAY I was treated like this. It also angers me that it appears The Pepper Club could care less about their service. I believe they feel their great food will keep people coming back so training staff on good service is not a priority but the six of us will not be coming back.

• Visited March 2014
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Wanted to like it but....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Met friends for dinner who had made a reservation(needed it looked like). The menu is vegetarian and meat and we ordered some apps and i was looking forward to my meal of chicken marsala the was not very good. Service was ok but they seemed to be out of things that were on the menu. Hate to say it but no one at our table liked there dinner.

• Visited February 2014
Portland, Maine
“Meat or vegan, its all great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

One of the few restaurants where we went back the next night. The menu is varied, broad, and chomp-ably delicious. The decor is casual and a bit funky - like a very high-end diner. But wow the kitchen kicks out the good stuff. If you're aren't a stuff-shirt, then dine here and go away happy

Visited September 2013
Portland, Maine
“Won't be back..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I am a local Mainer who has frequented this restaurant numerous times over the years. Over the past 1-2 years, however, the service and food has obviously declined and I won't be back anytime soon.
I went to this restaurant earlier this week with my boyfriend- we were seated with menus- we waited for 15-20 minutes before anyone even came to our table and took our drink order. When our wine arrived, I started talking to the server, stating that we were ready to order- she walked off in a hurry to seat people waiting at the door- I figured she just didn't hear me. We then waited for another 15-20 minutes, without bread or an appetizer until she returned. We finally placed our order and waited 5-10 minutes before we got bread, then another 15-20 minutes before our simple chips & guacamole appetizer arrived. The chips for our appetizer were skimpy- all broke when you barely touched them. The guacamole was decent, obviously homemade but the portion was small.
Our meals: I ordered the vegetarian bean burger and was not impressed one bit- as soon as I bit into this "burger" it crumbled and fell apart! It's like it wasn't even formed into a patty. I got a measly amount of beets mixed with a few carrots (not even 1/2 cup) as my side- THAT'S IT. I was thoroughly dissapointed with this meal and left hungry. My boyfriend got the pepper(?) burger which was also skimpy- the size of the burger was very small (didn't even look like 3 ounces)- he received 2-3 pickles, and maybe 6 potato wedges with his burger. He was not very impressed.
When we wanted our check, no servers were around- we tracked one of them down and asked for change for a $20- both servers then dissapeared with our money for 5-10 minutes! We had no idea where our money went- when we finally found one of the servers, she stated "oh! you are the people who need the change. " The servers seemed very disorganized, distracted, and spacy.
Needless to say, for the amount of money, this is definitely not worth it- go elsewhere in Portland where will you will have better service, food, and an overall better experience.

• Visited January 2014