“I wanted more.”
Review of Hugo's

Hugo's
Reserve with OpenTable
Hugo's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 613 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$50 - US$150
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Franklin Ave
Alexandria VA
“I wanted more.”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The team behind the "off the charts" popular Eventide, has renovated and reopened Hugo's, they actually share a kitchen. I have been counting the days until I could dine at Hugo's and see what culinary creativity would emerge from this restaurant savvy group.

First of all, the menu is complicated. Our waiter did an excellent job of explaining how to structure the meal, but the problem is, if you don't have the patience for a lot of little plates you don't get much of a dinner, and its pricey. There are also hard to figure out descriptions, you don't really know what you are getting without asking your waiter. The plates are beautifully prepared, but the portions are small. I can see how it would be a wonderful special occasion spot, but I was hoping for a delicious dining with high end seafood and an occasional chop.You cant even get any of the yummy oysters they are serving up next door. What we ate was very nice but we were wishing for more when we left. We each had 2 courses plus dessert and 5 glasses of wine between us, the bill was $240. If they had just brought 3 more of the buttery biscuits instead of the hard seed rolls I would have been so much happier.

This is a great special occasion spot, great wine list and excellent service. It will be interesting to watch Hugo's hit its stride.

• Visited October 2013

Malden, Massachusetts
“Horrible Place”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended to us by staff at two different hotels. I don't usually go to French restaurants, (the exception is Mr B's in New Orleans)because of the small portions you receive. We got reservations, and we're seated at the bar. I was unhappy with this, and it got worse when the entree came. My wife and I had ordered swordfish. It was a tiny strip that I cut in half and ate in two moutfulls. I complained to my wife about the restaurant, and was overheard by some of the staff. The manager came over and demanded we leave. We weren't even asked to quiet down. I wll make it a priority to warn others away from this hole in the wall, if they travel to Portland.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Garrett59
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Incredible”
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Prepare yourself for culinary greatness, amazing people and a fabulous evening. The entire experience was incredible and worth every bite, cent, moment.

Boston, Massachusetts
“What an awesome dinner!”
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

This place is right up to my 2 favorite restaurants that i've ever eaten at! Its the perfect restaurant size, great decoration, good wine, and the food is to die for. Menu very innovative, flavor combination was awesome, and menu itself very flexible to go from one tasting option to the next. Service was very professional and welcoming. You definitely have to actually know about food to truly enjoy and appreciate this gem, it was funny to see/hear people next to us trying to understand how a tasting menu works and not be happy with the size of the dish, it's supposed to be a five course meal! Of course you wont be satisfied sharing 2 dishes and trying to call it a day! The price for the great experience was very palatable. Coming back place for sure.

Visited October 2013
NYC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hugos”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Amazing food. Go for the wine and cocktail pairing. Make sure to sit at the bar, the cooks are very friendly.

Visited August 2013