“Ambiance on Christmas Eve”

DiMillo's on the Water
Ranked #54 of 632 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$9 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant actually floats, and because it is surrounded by water, every table offers spectacular views of Portland Harbor. Our outside decks are great spots to see the sights while enjoying a meal or cocktail. Maine lobster is what we do here and we do it better than anyone.
Reviewed 28 December 2016

On the water Christmas Eve for a late lunch- great holiday ambiance and lots of people out. Jason was our waiter- pleasant, friendly, and unobstrusive. His lobster mac and cheese was an huge portion and right full of lobster meat. My Fiery calamari burger was divine!! And spicy without being overpowering. I would order it again along with the lemon rice( this would make a great meal in itself). This one of our favorite places in Portland

Write a ReviewReviews (2,760)

Reviewed 24 December 2016

Went here to have lunch for my other half's birthday, we both enjoyed it. Nice views of the harbor, decent food, good drinks.

Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

A Christmas gathering with family and friends at this popular floating restaurant. First impression on this trip was the renovation that had taken place recently. The carpeting is gone, the round, easy to talk around tables have been replaced with square long tables, and most of all the elegance of white linen tablecloths has disappeared, but the prices continue to rise. The menu has only one or two choices for the person who does not like seafood. The service was good, nothing outstanding. It gets really noisy when full now that the floors are wood. Tourists will love it. The parking is still free with a stamped card and the mints are still good. As for us locals, there are other more affordable choices in Portland that won't hurt our wallet so much.

Reviewed 19 December 2016

I used to live in Portland and loved DiMillo's, especially their lobster rolls. What a disappointment a week ago when I dined with friends. One friend and I had lobster rolls that were obviously made with frozen lobster. Tough, chewy, no taste. We were told that DiMillo's never serves frozen lobster. You couldn't make believers out of us.

johnnydimillo, Owner at DiMillo's on the Water, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2016

Travel bug ,

Thank you for visiting us and taking the time to review. My word may not mean much but I can garauntee that DiMilo's does not use any frozen lobster meat. I can share invoices with you to show you the high cost of the fresh product. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your lobster roll but let me tell you if you suspect someone passing off frozen as fresh, the tell tale sign is that the meat is watery and almost mealy. We do put some tail meat our rolls and maybe that's the "toughness" you described. The tail meat has a firm texture where as the claw and knuckle is more delicate. Some places serve only claw and knuckle in their rolls. We like the contrast in textures so we include it.

I hope you'll give us another try in the future. Thank you and happy holidays.

Johnny DiMillo

Reviewed 14 December 2016

From the minute we entered until the minute we left, it was a wonderful experience. Our waitress was lovely, the food delicious and the ambiance excellent. If I lived in Portland, it would be our date night place.