“Great Sushi Place”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Started off with a scallop roll. It was amazing! Service was prompt, helpful, friendly and attentive. Why only a 3 rating? The katsu don was awful. Overcooked, poorly breaded pork cutlet with some sort of inedible grey egg glob on top. This is not how katsu don should be served and was not on par with other dishes and the sushi offered at Sapporo.

Go to Sapporo for sushi or teriyaki but stay away from the katsu don.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

it's official, I no longer go to Sapporo. With the exception of one or two servers, my wife and I had what has to be considered less than stellar service (a real turn off) which actually ruined an otherwise 'OK' lunch. Wish it wasn't so because I want to come back (and while food is always my top criteria - actually all I really care about - the service that last time was so off-putting that I won't).

Never ever the case at Benkay with never less than perfect service (topped by top notch great food). Every single time.

2  Thank theghostwriter
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had an early dinner here recently with friends during the Old Port Festival. It was my first time here. My friends had brought their dog with them, and we wanted to sit on the outside deck, so this worked out well (because pooch was not allowed inside). He was actually not even allowed inside the deck, but we were given a table alongside the fence and bushes, so pooch was hitched to the post there. The nice waitress actually brought the dog a bowl of cold water, which I thought was very kind. I also brought my water bottle along with me, and was told that I could not bring it inside the restaurant..... I presume because this was a way for them to force you to purchase a beverage. They offered to hold it for me, or said I could keep it in my pocket, so that's what I did. After all that, we only ordered ice waters, so they really didn't benefit at all from denying me access to my water bottle. It seemed, initially, like there were a lot of "rules" which felt a bit off-putting.

After those awkward moments when first being greeted, we settled into our table (which needed to be stabilized on the uneven asphalt) and our waitress greeted us. I will say that throughout our meal, she was friendly, prompt and accommodating, but seemed nervous the whole time.... perhaps due to inexperience? Or was it something we said? We couldn't quite figure that out. We each started out with the miso soup, which came included with our entrees. I rather liked mine (certainly more than at other Japanese restaurants I've eaten at), though one of my friends was not as impressed. Miso is, by nature, salty. This one came with chunks of tofu, scallion, onion and other veggie bits and flavors, and I rather liked it.

For entrees, my friends ordered the chicken teriyaki with rice, and the salmon teriyaki with rice. They both commented that they enjoyed them very much. I ordered the yaki noodles (a wheat noodle), pretty much the same as a lo mein. It had slivers of carrot and onion, and came steaming (though it cooled off quickly) and I enjoyed it. I also ordered a side plate of vegetable tempura. The batter was nice and light and though there were only 4 pieces on the dish (zucchini, broccoli and asparagus) it was tasty. This would have been less so if it weren't for the soy dipping sauce on the side (which I had to request).

The outside deck offered excellent people-watching right along Commercial Street. The inside of the restaurant is sparse, simple and tasteful, with neutral colors: my friends especially like the inside décor. The staff and chefs thanked us for our patronage as we left. I will probably go back again to compare experiences. Food portions were 'enough' and prices were standard for the Old Port: not cheap and not the most expensive. But my friends treated, which was very generous, so for me it only cost me the absence of my water bottle.

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I have lived in Portland for 20 years. I love sushi. I eat out frequently. It's not only the freshest seafood from the best local vendors, But also the perfection with which they cook the rice… And they offer vegetarian alternatives for everybody (including my daughter)! Fantastic fresh fish quality, presentation that can compete with the food network… And bottom line: original sushi restaurant in Portland Maine before there were any others! -Leslie (Resident of 22 years

Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Everythimg is better than your average sushi restaurant. The seaweed salad is the only one that Ive ever liked. There are great prices but not too cheap to make you question the quality.