“Over-rated”
Review of Fore Street

Fore Street
Reserve with OpenTable
Fore Street is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 613 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, International, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin and Pearl
Boston, Massachusetts
“Over-rated”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I'm not one to write reviews but really felt compelled to because I hemmed and hawed for weeks over which Portland restaurant to choose......I'm not a "foodie" but after reading reviews and talking with Portland friends, we decided to try Fore Street. We did not have a reservation - mid November - but they gave us one that day - for 9:30 that night. Not a problem for us. The service was great - the atmosphere was great, but it was VERY loud - my disappointed was in the menu. If you are a food lover of menu items other than your basic fish, chicken or steak, then this is your place! The food was really good - but - I had Hanger Steak because it was really the only entree on the menu that I wanted... Personally the food items were too gourmet for me....The menu changes daily, but I'm not into duck and other weird things they offered. The next day we went to the Grill Room on Exchange St. ... now THAT was amazing!!! One of the best meals I've had! (I had swordfish, my husband had scallops) Outstanding service, quality, atmosphere! Prices were similar to Fore Street but we had a much better time and lots more fun at the Grill Room. I would recommend the Grill Room anyday over Fore Street.

1 Thank Diane C

Porter ME
“Date night out”
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I chose this place from the reviews on Trip Advisor and we weren't completely blown away by the place, but it wasn't as bad as some made it out to be. We made out reservations via open table which by the way is the easiest way to make dinner plans! They even called to reconfirm our reservation the day before. Cocktails were good, only complaint was the tiny martini glasses that they use, like to see nicer ones makes the $12.00 martini look cheesy in such a small glass! We enjoyed the open kitchen concept, gives you something to look at while your waiting for your meal! Food came in a timely manner, my husbands mussels could of been a little hotter, but overall it was good. The flank steak was great, cooked just right for both of us. Still have a hard time with the extra charge that all these places impose on you for a side of potato, but they all do it, so I guess you just go with the flow! Would probably recommend to friends, not sure if we will return with so many other places to dine out in the Old Port.

Visited November 2013
Moncton, Canada
“Great experience!!!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Great food. Very cool atmosphere with the open kitchen and root cellar. The pork loin was amazing and thanks to our server who made the experience even better. Will be returning when we visit Portland again.

• Visited November 2013
“Horrible and rude service, but good food.”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Employees were rude, food was overpriced, but decent, portions were tiny.....won't return.

Did I mention staff was rude.

1 Thank ravot22
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“A great spot”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband and I have been coming to Portland for years and always make a reservation at either Fore Street or Street and Company (sister restaurants) for years. Tonight it was Fore Street. What a treat. The service is excellent, the food even better. The staff is friendly and efficient. Our food, while excellent, arrived piping hot and delicious. I seldom order desert, but creme brûlée is one of my favorites so I ordered that. As a rule, creme brûlée is overcooked This was absolutely perfect. Creamy and wonderful. We have been so impressed that Portland is such a foody town. Every time we come we are delighted at the quality and pride the locals take in their food. Always a pleasure. If you come to Portland in the summer, both Street and Company and Core Street will take reservations 60 days in advance. Be warned, you really need a reservation and it's really worth it.