“Rediscovered and one of our favorites”
Review of Back Bay Grill

Back Bay Grill
Ranked #1 of 617 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Portland, Maine
“Rediscovered and one of our favorites”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I used to take clients here when entertaining. The food, service and experience made it an easy choice. Over the years, lifestyle changes meant most of our (wife and I) dining was focused on casual neighborhood places around Portland. I am embarrassed to say we somehow forgot about Back Bay Grill. We rediscovered it last winter and have been back several times since, both at a table and at the bar for dinner. Nothing else to say other than this place is one of the best dining experiences you will have in Portland - or elsewhere. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank portlandme61

“This is what I call Fine Dining!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Sent here by family members as their own special occasion spot. From the extremely gracious handling of our reservation for party of 8 on a very busy Fri night to the tiny taste treats Adrian slipped over to our table, this dinner was a high point of our visit. Leaving the rugged natural beauty of Cape Elizabeth Headlights late afternoon to then land here for dinner was a dreamy experience. This is definitely the place to go and get out of "the box" - challenge yourself to order something different and you will not be disappointed. The lavender marinaded lamb was exquisite- tender, flavorful, and cooked to perfection. I also selected the gazpacho appetizer which was perfectly sneaky with a slow, heated jalapeno finish in the cool puddle of red. Desserts deelish. And tiny surprises found their way to us periodically between courses. When you can visually see that each plate is being created for Your Personal dining pleasure, a little wait is acceptable. We had well-behaved 6 yr old in tow for wkend and they came up with perfect pasta dish. As a finale, Adrian may surprise you with a trick or two. It was clear that this is a long standing favorite spot for special occasions and rightfully so. Bon appetite!

2 Thank MardyR
“Is there better?”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Ok, I try to reserve my "5 stars" for the best, and Back Bay Grill is one of the few that is in the league! Wow! We were discussing our experience after and we agreed - it was amazing! The service was great. I had a question about 2 specific wines on the wine list and the waiter was well versed with the list and was able to compare and contrast the wines. They were happy to be creative with the menu offerings. I wanted the pappardelle but did not want the lamb… no problem, the waiter had some great suggestions and we created a wonderful dish. The setting and feel in the restaurant were relaxed and delightful. It was one of those experiences that was all substance; no facades, no pretentiousness, and no airs - just a wonderful dining experience. A big "miss" if you don't go!

2 Thank HereAtLast
Florida
“Delicious fresh fare”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We returned to this restaurant after many years away and found it as good, if not better, than in our previous visits. Maitre d' accommodated us with a reservation on a busy Friday night and wait staff were friendly and efficient. My salad and the chicken dish were nicely prepared and presented. And the caramel ice cream for dessert was super tasty! Worth visiting.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Bi-coaster
New Jersey
“Beyond outstanding”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I came here for our combined birthday dinner. We have traveled pretty extensively and lived in the NY/NJ metro area for several years, so we have eaten at 5 star restaurants plenty of times. This was, we both agreed, just the best dining experience we have had. The restaurant is small and intimate. The temperature was perfect--I wasn't freezing, and I normally am in restaurants! The menu is varied and has something for everyone. The wine list is expansive and VERY fairly priced, which was awesome. Every single staff member with whom we had any sort of interaction with was friendly, knowledgable, and professional. It took us forever to decide what we wanted to eat and drink, but we weren't rushed at all, and we weren't made to feel as though we were wasting anyone's time. Most importantly, the food was out of this world. Portions were generous, the food was perfectly seasoned and cooked, and it was just perfect. I had the halibut, and my husband had the duck. For appetizers, we had the crab cakes and the mixed green salad. I didn't get the crab cakes, thinking that you can get crab cakes anywhere, and after my husband let me try a bite of his, I was wishing I had. They were simply divine. Overall, it was just a phenomenal restaurant that I would go back to again and again and again.

• Visited July 2014