“Wonderful!!”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband and I celebrated our 43rd anniversary at this restaurant on 8/14/14. The service was impeccable, our waitress was very attentive and we enjoyed our ongoing conversation with her. The maître d' was also very attentive. Oh! And the food was totally excellent. When we return to Maine next summer we will return to the Back Bay Grill!!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We dined here last week and had an outstanding experience. Charming restaurant with attentive, friendly staff. Our starters included Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Lobster - creamy and delicious- as well as Bangs Island steamed mussels - small, sweet and enjoyed much more than the Food Network recommended roasted mussels we had last night at Fore Street. Our entrees were: Lavender Marinated Duck Breast with Duck Confit - rich and satisfying and Hand Rolled Pappardelle with local lamb - intoxicating comfort food! Our server provided expert assistance in pairing wines with each course. Surrounding diners were observed to be enthusiastically enjoying their evening. So did we - and we plan to return soon.

1  Thank Ellen B
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The food, service and ambiance once you step inside are wonderful. The restaurant itself is et in a slightly sketchy area but was not an issue.
Kitchen is creative and uses local fresh ingredients with the right mix of seasoning and spices to present an excellent meal.

2  Thank CTVacationers
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed for only one night and wanted to find a place for which Portland is known to be a foodie town, Back Bay Grill was it! We came a bit early (about 4:50 pm, dinner starts at 5) on a Thursday evening. We did not have reservations, but got lucky - there was one table that had reservations for 7, so we grabbed it before. The service was very attentive, the waitress in training was great at recommendations and had that perfect balance of being there when we needed her, but not hovering around too much. We had the crab cake (delicious!!!) and fois gras (i think i will be dreaming of it for many more years to come) for the appetizer. For the main course we ordered the Lamb Pappardelle (so moist and savory) and duck confit (a little on a rougher side, the only thing that we had that was not "out of this world"). We were also treated to a taster of some kind of cheese with amazing jam, and bailys cream puff - YUM! The total for this all, plus two drinks, came up to about $140ish - but worth it!

2  Thank Natalia D
Reviewed 9 August 2014

(full disclosure, I'm a mom who was away from her family for the first time in a while, so anything I didn't have to cook was appreciated =).
My sister lives in the area. She has a knack for finding really spectacular, hidden gems of restaurants -- an overlooked trattoria in the North End or a tiny deli in Newton Centre, when she lived in Mass. Well, she moved to Maine... and she's done it again.

This not your lobster-and-fried-clam joint; nor is it a trendy, all-style/no-substance eatery. Rather, this is one of the finest gastronomic experiences I have ever had in the United States. It started with one appetizer that turned a heretofore unpalatable veggie into a mouthwatering soup ('Parsnip, smoked bacon, extra virgin olive oil, fresh herbs $10) -- I was 'playing' spoon wars with my brother-in-law over this, but I was secretly serious - fighting over PARSNIP for crying out loud! -- and that begs an important point: if at all possible, share, share, share -- order a variety and share. This is not an inexpensive restaurant, believe me, but it is worth e-v-e-r-y dollar... and more.

The salads -- I battled my niece for bites of her 'local mixed greens salad' (candied walnuts, stilton, port wine vinaigrette $11) and fended off attacks at my own panzanella salad (watercress, local tomato, house made mozarella, grilled focaccia, basil, aged balsamic $11).

I was careful not to overindulge prior to the main course, but my tastebuds' orgiastic response to everything made restraint difficult. Thank heavens we shared dinners as well. I couldn't decide -- could NOT decide -- so settled on the first of the seven unbelievably appetizing entrees, Grilled Filet Mignon (with whipped potatoes, wilted greens, roasted mushrooms, stilton and red wine sauce.$36) It was... melt-in-your-mouth-but-don't-because-I-don't-want-this-flavor-to-end delicious. After I regained consciousness I passed out again over bites of Sweet Corn Fettuccini (Fettuccini, sweet corn sauce, morel mushrooms, roasted red onion, grilled corn, pea shoots $18). A fellow diner ordered Marinated Chicken Breast (basmati rice, girlled summer squash, lemon and chicken veloute $25) and I thought: chicken? Boring. Turns out it was Me: Wrong! Happily, gastronomically joyously wrong. Again!

I am a firm believer in "The closer your food is to its source, the better -- on multiple levels -- it is. " This is so close to its source, and mingled with surprising other locally sourced, fresh ingredients that I am having a difficult time finding the words to describe this truly sublime experience...

my ONLY complaint -- I was seated in a kind of alcove and as more diners arrived it became very difficult to hear/be heard. Fortunately that gave me an excuse to shut up and eat. =)

5  Thank LarsenWard