“DIMINISHING FOOD PORTIONS”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I were lodging at the Comfort Inn Airport, Maine Mall Road, South Portland, Maine.

We obtained a menu from hotel staff and placed an order, with considerably difficulty since the persons taking the order did not know the location of the hotel. We were incredulous because we have placed orders from Portland Pie for many years while lodging at the same hotel.

The hotel desk clerks on duty confirmed that Portland Pie regularly delivers to the hotel.

The delivery was beyond the 45 minutes to an hour promised on the phone. The delivery man apologized when he arrived in 90 minutes, stating that he was told to deliver to the Comfort Inn in Scarborough, Maine. This error belies the frequent deliveries to our hotel.

I ordered a “steak and blue” salad for $12.00. I have ordered no fewer than 7 to 8 of these steak salads over the years. When I pulled the container out of the bag and opened the cover, I could not believe that the steak portion had been reduced to between 1 to two ounces. There was literally a very small gob of steak, comprised of 4 thin strips no longer than an inch.

Over the years, Portland Pie’s Steak & Bleu salads have had a steak portion of 5 to 6 ounces of large steak pieces placed throughout the salad. I was outraged on Sunday, June 24, 2018 at the outrageously small and stingy quantity of steak with a salad costing $12.00.

My wife ordered a tomato and cheese sandwich without anchovies, but with a substitution of spinach.
She also ordered a side of fruit for $1.00. What my wife received was a very cold tomato and cheese sandwich without the spinach. There was no fruit cup side for the $1.00, but a small bag of what should be the free chips that are always included with a sandwich.

Did Portland Pie charge me wife for the fruit cup, but give her the free chips? Her very cold tomato sandwich was over $10.00, or $11.00 if she was erroneously charged for the missing fruit cup.

PROBLEMS:
1. Our total order was $29.00, including a circuitous delivery charge, initially to the wrong hotel.
2. The Steak & Bleu salad was actually a “TOSSED SALAD” with a minute, laughable portion of steak.
3. My wife’s tomato & Cheese sandwich did not contain the spinach promised and the fruit cup.
4. I subsequently informed hotel desk staff about the hideously small portion of steak on my salad. I then stated the possibility that Portland’s recent increase in the minimum wage could be positively correlated to the drastically reduced portion of steak. Instead of price increases, is Portland Pie trying to cut labor costs by radically reducing meat portions.

In summary, by the time that we had opened the bag and our lunches, the delivery person had departed. Hence, we could not convey a message to Portland Pie management to him.

Without immediate corrective action by Portand Pie, we can’t recommend them any more. Our total cost was $29.00, plus a $4.00 tip for the delivery person.
We contend now that the cost of $33.00 for a terrible lunch was outrageously high. Recollect, we thoroughly enjoyed their food for many years.

At the outset, whoever took the order at Portland Pie wrote it incorrectly, notwithstanding that the employee read the order back to my wife on the phone. BEWARE OF SMALLER MEAT PORTIONS AND INCORRECT ORDERS, ESPECIALLY ONES TO BE DELIVERED.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stopped here for pizza with our toddler. We ordered spinach artichoke dip and a 14 inch Moosehead pizza. I was a little concerned about ordering the 14 inch, because it is a thin crust. I am not a big fan of the crispy thin crust, but there thin crust is more like a thinner version of pan or thick crust. It was very good.

Our waitress was excellent with our toddler as well. He would tell her hi each time that she came by, and she would entertain and address him each time. It was greatly appreciated.

Overall, our experience was excellent. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

We visited the new Waterville location and despite a few service hiccups we were not disappointed. We will give them credit for the fact that they just opened and are working hard to make improvements. Our waitress was very inexperienced, and forgot to enter my boyfriend's order for a Guinness into the system so we waited over 20 minutes for it; eventually we approached the bar and asked and the manager gave it to us on the house which we appreciated. He also asked for the meat lover's calzone without sausage, and it came packed full of sausage; we mentioned it to the waitress and she gave it to us for free. Overall a few mishaps but they were corrected quickly and thoughtfully.

In terms of food--couldn't be any better. We tried the stuffed mushrooms appetizer and it was phenomenal, I ordered a 10" Hawaiian pizza which was fantastic, and finished it off with chocolate lasagna which was good. The only thing I'd change about the dessert was that it was covered in Hershey's syrup which I think is a cheap shortcut, but then again, it's a pizza restaurant and not a dessert restaurant. The atmosphere was good, but I'd like to have seen at least a curtain covering the doorway into the kitchen. There was nothing so we could see straight into the kitchen area; this detracted from the overall atmosphere since the ambiance of the restaurant was nice with soft lighting and nicely chosen decor and then you have the eyesore of the kitchen which is full of stainless steel and bright lighting.

My biggest suggestion for the restaurant would be to add napkins to the table, or even paper towels--the food is greasy and giving guests one small napkin just doesn't cut it for the pizzas. Overall, though, I'd definitely come back and I believe they will do well.

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Wanted to stay in hotel room one night to relax after long day of conference - front desk recommended Portland Pie and he was spot on. Great pizza - fresh mozzarella and garlic crust were both killer. And the Blueberry pie!!!

Reviewed 15 June 2018

I waned to check out the new Waterville location. It was packed at lunch time, but we were immediately seated. Our server was attentive. I was surprised at how quickly our food arrived considering how busy the restaurant was. I had the Orchard Salad which I highly recommend and my friends ordered pizza, which they said was excellent. There is a great variety to choose from, and the service was outstanding. This is a great addition to Waterville's Main Street, you've got to try it!