“Fantastic and Fun... and you definitely pay for it”
Review of Fuji Restaurant

Fuji Restaurant
Ranked #168 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fuji offers Old Port diners a welcoming, authentic Japanese dining experience. Our menu includes more than 30 types of sushi and 40 types of maki rolls, as well as a variety of other Japanese favorites. Diners can choose to sit at intimate booths, in our traditional tatami room, or at our exciting hibachi tables.
Reviewed 13 May 2009

We had a WONDERFUL time here. The place was PACKED and LOUD... but that was what we were looking for, so that was fine. We did the hibachi grill and hung out at the bar while we waited for our table. Great drinks, most were $8-10. The hibachi part of the evening was a blast!! Our chef was very fun and entertaining and the food was FANTASTIC! I had steak, Hubby had teriyaki chicken... mine was better, but his was delicious too. The fried rice was the best I have ever had! My husband and I also split a lobster sushi roll that was delicious. They add the 20% tip in with the check... plus you are supposed to tip the bartender AND the chef that cooks at your table... so there is a LOT of tipping! In total for just the 2 of us our bill with drinks was probably $130 or so.

P.S. You HAVE to make a reservation for the Hibachi Grill or chances are slim you will get a seating.

Reviewed 3 March 2009

Fantastic Sushi, I would go right now!

Reviewed 3 March 2009

My wife and I went for Valentines day. We had a gift certificate so money was no issue. Fuji is really terrific. It might sound wierd to mention the salad, but in the middle of February, in Maine, it was the freshest salad I had eaten in years. I usually don't order beef out as I find a lot of restraunts serve less-than-prime meat, and then do a poor job of cooking it. The steak teriyaki was the best piece of beef I have had in years. I ate some tuna sushi, my wife enjoyed a variety of shashimi rolls and shrimp tempura. We ate and drank everything we wanted and a little more, and the bill came only $70.

Our server was very nice and helped me navigate the sushi menu without making me feel like an idiot.

The only downside, you can't make reservations for two, and you basically can't sit at the hibachi without a reservation.

1  Thank tchrisman
Reviewed 4 January 2009

i went to fuji once because i won a gift certificate off the radio. i went with a group of four people and we were stuck there waiting for over an hour. they sat people, without reservations, who had gotten there after us...not a good start but we stayed because i had 50 dollars to spend. once we finally got a table, another friend came to join us because we weren't expecting to be at dinner so late. the server was clearly annoyed and was very rude and refused to look for an open chair so we squeezed into the booth. all the food came at once, miso soup, salads, appetizers and our main courses, which left no room on our already small table. the dumplings were small and not what i had in mind. the maki rolls were wrapped loosely and fell to pieces when i tried to pick them up! i'm glad i had the gift certificate because i would have hated to pay what the bill came to out of my own pocket!

Reviewed 3 January 2009

My boyfriend and I both love sushi but are used to getting it in the Boston area. We tried Fuji for the first time last night. Shortly after we had eaten my boyfriend got sick twice in the Old Port and when we got back home. He was fine before which leads us to believe it was the food.