“In Portland DO NOT MISS!!!!!!!”
Review of J's Oyster

J's Oyster
Ranked #25 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Had a day in Portland on our Canadian Carnival cruise. My husband had eaten her on a business trip to Portland. Kind of nestled away off the main drag but overlooking the water we signed in at lunch on the wait list. We went to the bar to wait and I had the best Bloody Mary and the girls behind the bar were very friendly and attentive. Very limited dining space but we waited and had the ABSOLUTE BEST LOBSTER ROLL, CLAM CHOWDER and Steamers I have eaten since moving to Florida. Great service value, and DELICIOUS FOOD!!!!! Would go back on any trip to Portland!!!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

A friend told us J's Oyster was a must and he was right! It is nothing fancy but that is what makes it perfect. Great, friendly staff made sitting at the bar fun. We had oysters,king crab,steamers and lobster at a great price with generous portions. Certainly a must when in Portland. Can't wait to return.

1  Thank connie c
Reviewed 24 October 2013

At the recommendation of our West End Innkeeper, we had lunch at J's Oyster, a diner style structure on the wharf (a few blocks off of Main Street). The interior is cramped quarters so we elected tent service outside. A few minutes after we arrived a couple of tour buses stopped near by and a crowd of people gravitated towards J's. This place is popular and it certainly isn't the atmosphere that draws in a crowd.

My wife and I ordered lobster rolls, which were promptly served on a toasted bun, with chips and a pickle on a paper plate. The lobster rolls were sensational and reasonably priced. We will return on our next trip to Portland.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Recommended to us by the locals. They were RIGHT! Located about 50-75 yards off the main street (this is where the tourists without TripAdvisor eat). Limited parking next to building. Our lobster roll was the best we had during 7 day trip to coast of NE and Nova Scotia. We added our own mayonnaise to arrive at the desired taste. Several draft IPAs were offered,ours could have been a little colder. If you like to sit at the bar you might have to out wait the locals.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband and I had heard about this place from a friend in Florida. But we don't like oysters so I tried a lobster roll and my husband had fried fish. We sat outside and looked over the canal. The weather was great, food was good, and it was quick. This is not the place to hang around for lunch. They seem to have a large crowd and want you in and out quickly.

Been to J's Oyster? Share your experiences!