“Cinco De Mayo, really?”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Wife and I stopped in yesterday on May 5th for lunch. Had been here years ago, but being Cinco De Mayo, thought we would return. Very busy and they said they normally were not open for lunch. (odd I would think). We basically just wanted a margarita and a couple apps. The waiter was all over us, very good attention.....almost too much but who would complain about that much. The margaitas were served in a plastic cup (how cheap is that). The music was playing over the sound system, but after staying about an hour in the restaurant we heard one mexcan style song and the rest were normal pop songs. (Really? on Cinco De Mayo?) Maybe just me but if I went to an american food place would I get mexican music today? The food was good, and we noted a nice improment to their salsa. It was fresher, chunkier, but half a dish vs what they used to do. No specials today, again odd, but overall a very average experience.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had a nice dinner at Margaritas (St. John St) last night. We ended up there after a movie because so many restaurants in town close at 10 pm - even on a Saturday night! Margaritas kitchen was open until 11 pm and the bar was open even later. The St John st location also offers plenty of parking so we ended up there.

Margaritas is solid for food quality, good service and pleasant atmosphere. We ordered two kinds of fajitas - chicken and steak. Both were served nice and hot with soft flour tortillas (3), and a small plate of fresh tomatoes, guacamole and shredded cheese. The chicken was probably the best choice in terms of flavor. The beef was good but the large pieces were a little hard to manage. Rice and beans was also decent side. Black beans now served in a mashed consistency which was a little different but tasted fine.

Coconut margarita was very good, and a nice choice if you don't mind sweet drinks. I enjoyed it but would return to the classic next time because I like the lime flavor.

KidTaco, Guest Relations Manager at Margaritas Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for the nice review and we are glad you enjoyed your visit! We are also located near the Old Port on Brown Street too. Hope you can come back again soon.

Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I have been going to Brown Street Margarita's for several years. I take a very large group of clients when we all attend a convention in town. For a couple if years it experience was not very good. Since Mark Lakeman has taken over as manager it has done a 180. Service is great! The employes are warm and welcoming. The quality of the food is excellent.
I'm not sure what other reviewers are talking about but this is one of the best Mexican restaurants in Portland! I take 50 people there when I go and they all love it!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Went in for take out on my way home from work to get dinner for my wife and young son. We had enchiladas, the Gringo burger and a kids chicken finger meal. Everything was packaged up well and the food temperature was still hot when I got it home. Would definitely eaten at the restaurant if time allowed. Will be back when my little guy is older.

1  Thank CorgiDad1984
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was the second time that I visited Margarita's and will be the last. We went for drinks and appetizers since happy hour goes on all night while there is construction at the Congress Street location. The appetizers were very cheap ($1-$5) and not a single one was worth the money. The nachos had cheese and a tiny bit of ground beef. Nothing that we ordered had any flavor. The restaurant was empty on a Monday night. The service was ok. There are much better Mexican restaurants in the area. Try Mesa Verde if you're looking for tasty Mexican food.