“A great experience”
Review of Kon Asian Bistro

Kon Asian Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Kon Asian Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #187 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Whether you’re planning a fun family meal, a romantic date night, or after-work drinks with friends and coworkers, Kon Asian Bistro is the place to be. Since we opened our doors in 2009, we’ve been known for serving a wide-ranging menu of authentic Asian cuisines, from Japanese sushi to traditional Chinese dishes and more. Enjoy dinner and a show as our skilled hibachi chefs whip up an elegant meal right at your table, or visit our lively bar during happy hour and unwind with us.
Reviewed 12 October 2013

If you want try good asian food in nice ambience and have fun,Kon is the right place for all of this things.I and my girfriend and her brother have been to Kon for dinner,early we called to book the Hibachi table,it's a grill with a table and seats all around so you can see your own chef while cooks what you ordered.The Hibachi table is a full experience because your chef of the moment will makes some show during his preparation of food,our chef was very funny and when he was shouting "saki saki" it was meaning he was ready squeeze Sakè (typical Japanese alcohol beverage) directly in your mouth by a little plastic bottle! I ordered Sushi and Sashimi and Noodles cooked by the chef on the grill.Everything was very good,we had good fun.The restaurant is very big and there are two rooms,the first one has many traditional tables and the other one is separated from the first room by a big glasswall and where there are many Hibachii tables.If you want have a Hibachi table experience better call and make a reservation.Good restaurant with delicious food and good ambience.

Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

$3.50 select rolls and drink specials and even better was great customer service from the bartender! I could do without the customers sucking face next to me, but I was in and out quickly so I tried to ignore them. The bartender was great with making sure my food came out quick since I could not stay. Good job!

Reviewed 29 April 2013

My wife and I went to Kon Asian Bistro in Portland for the first time this Saturday. We arrived at around 6:30pm without reservations and although the parking lot was full we were seated in minutes of our arrival in the dining room ( I avoid Hibachi tables as I usually find them to be filled with obnoxious strangers). The Kon Asian Bistros decor is very Asian sex movie...I mean romantic and Zen. Dark reds and browns are all around and there are candles on every table that add to the ambiance. For being a hibachi restaurant it is not overly loud and its easy to carry on a conversation. As talked about before I have absolutely no desire to put anything raw in my mouth, especially seafood, so we skipped over the sushi page, got some Sweet Plum Saki and a Crisp cold Sapporo beer and started our meal with a Kon Chicken Lettuce wrap appetizer. It was a good choice, similar to my favorite PF Changs wrap. A small bowl filled with lots of small diced pieces of chicken and Chinese vegetables all cooked in a nice flavorful sweet and spicy sauce accompanied by 4 crisp pieces of Iceberg lettuce cups to wrap it up in. My only issue with this was that I could have used some more lettuce...after the 4 cups were out I still had half a bowl of the vegetable chicken mix, so I just used the old trustee fork to finish the rest ( no chopsticks for me...they only slow me down) For our entrees Simone went with the fresh vegetables from the Hibachi grill with sides of fried rice, salad and the house soup. The salad was small but very enjoyable with that house ginger dressing that I just can't get enough of served at almost all hibachi places. The soup was hot and had a basic but good miso broth with a few mushrooms. It was not overly fishy tasting which was also good as that sometimes can be an issue at these places. Her vegetable were cooked perfect from the grill. Fresh and al dente...not mushy with just the right amount of soy seasoning to give them flavor but still taste like an actual vegetable. The rice, although good, I thought could have used a little more time on the grill as it arrived at the table only mildly warm. For my entrée I went the Thai route and had the always popular dish Pad Thai. Being on a bit of a health kick as of late I avoided the meat and went just with veggies. My Pad Thai was good but really did not stand out from any other Pad Thai I have tasted in the past. It came with the usual Americanized red sauce but the one surprise that I found was that it included Tofu which I don't usually eat but it worked well in the dish as it just absorbed the sweet flavor of the sauce. The vegetables in the dish were again cooked perfectly and tasted fresh. The star of the meal for both Simone and I was the dessert. I can't really remember the name but the taste is forever etched in my memory. Basically a nice big baseball sized scoop of creamy rich Peanut Butter gelato with a caramel center is covered in equally sweet, rich and creamy milk chocolate, then frozen solid, cut in half and served to you. It is simple and amazing in its simplicity. Its like the worlds best Bon-Bon. The prices here are on the higher side but will not scare you away and I had a Portland Dine Around card so we also got 10% of the total bill. So overall the dinner itself was good but did not have me jumping with excitement but the finale of the dessert and the overall ambiance put Kon Asian Bistro in the four star category for me.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

This was our first time at Kon Asian Bistro, but not our first time at a hibachi grill. My fiancé and I went on a Saturday evening without a reservation and were able to get right in at a hibachi table. Service was great, very entertaining and quick. Prices were reasonable avg $25 for adult and $12 for kids. Dining room prices were a bit cheaper if you don't want the hibachi experience. Was a bit chilly for customers waiting so I suggest bring a sweater. We plan on bringing our kids next time!

Reviewed 20 December 2012

I hadn't been to Kon Asia in quite a long time, not since my awful experience at the hibachi table. I stopped in for a late lunch at 3 but missed the lunch specials by half an hour. I ordered my favorite--shrimp/vegetable tempura and a bowl of miso soup. The miso soup had little cubes of tofu floating in it and a few shreds of seaweed--it was delicious. The tempura plate came with 3 large shrimp and a few vegetables--sweet potato, potato, broccoli, onion, and a dipping sauce--also delicious. I have tried to make tempura at home but cannot achieve the light crispy coating of good tempura. I ordered a side of rice but it wasn't necessary. I was full by the time I got to the sweet potato and potato. I also ordered an appetizer of shrimp shumai--a small steamed dumpling with shrimp inside. Also served with a dipping sauce, and also very good. They have an extensive menu with many sushi choices and you can spend anywhere from $7.50 for a lunch special on up.

I like the interior--black and red. A large buddha in a central fountain and life size terra cotta warriors at the entrance. Off-street parking. Located on Brighton Avenue just before the Westbrook line.

Their website is konasiabistrome.com