“No Coffee, Really?”

Ranked #13 of 28 Bakeries in Portland
Price range: US$1 - US$9
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: The Works to you: humanely-raised, naturally-cured meats and poultry with no antibiotics or added hormones. Local eggs from cage-free chickens. Hormone- and antibiotic-free milk and cream cheese from Vermont family farms. Breakfast and lunch sandwiches and paninis on artisan bread, wraps or traditional boiled-and-baked bagels made with unbleached, unbromated flour. Fresh salads. Hearty, from scratch soups. Fresh-fruit smoothies. Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee. Thoughtfully sourced, local when possible.
Dover, New Hampshire
“No Coffee, Really?”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My family stopped at the Works about 3pm for a hot drink after visiting the art musem. There is
a Dunkin Doughnuts across the street, but we try local places when we can. This was a mistake.
The Works had no fresh coffee, but tried to sell us the stale, burnt coffee that had been sitting
there all day. We asked for our money back, and the manager did not even apologize.
we just left. Our son did like the berry smoothie.

• Visited March 2013

Portland, Maine
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I love this place! They're in such a convenient location, I often stop by when I'm shopping downtown or meeting clients. They have delicious sandwiches, a good drink selection, delicious desserts, and the people watching out the front window is great. And very affordable!

Visited November 2012
Bar Harbor, Maine
“San Francisco Sourdough - mmmh!”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

The Works Bakery Cafe (does Tripadvisor have an older name on file?) is a Portland institution. My husband went there already for breakfast, when he still had his furniture store in Portland, and we visit it at least once, every time we stay in Portland. Located next to the Nickelodeon Cinemas, it has a cheerful, a bit hippie-esk ambience, turning with cheerful colors and decor the cavernous space into a cozy cafe.
We like the nice selection of bagels and other breakfast items, but usually go for the bread. Since we are not heavy early morning eaters, we love the tangy sourdough and multigrain toasts we eat with butter and jam. Being a baker myself, I appreciate the good quality of their bakery.
We also like The Works' pledge to "buy from family farmers whenever possible", and "go out of our way to avoid agri-businesses and their pesticides, antibiotics, added hormones, and stressful confined animal feeding operations".
The Works is one of the best values in the Old Port. The coffee is good, too, what can we wish for more? Maybe a change of their policy not to allow facebook access through their WiFi.

• Visited September 2012
New Albany, Indiana
“Great lunch restaurant, too! Loved the clam chowder!”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I believe this restaurant is actually called "The Works Bakery Cafe". After walking around Old Port, we were starved. Most of the restaurants in Old Port were so expensive. We came across Bagel Works and the prices were reasonable. Everything we had was delicious. I may be a southerner, but the clam chowder was the best we had during our New England vacation. My 14 year old daughter kept begging to go back for more.

They use all natural, organic, hormone free ingredients. Check out the website at:

The only complaint I have is that the staff was slow in getting our food to us, and we were the only customers waiting for food. Other than that, great experience!

• Visited May 2012
Portland, ME
“My favorite bagel place in Portland.”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is my go to place for a quick breakfast on the go. I get the works bagel with ham, egg and cheese and a large chai. It's absolutely delicious. The ham and egg (even though it's microwaved egg) is super tasty and the Chai is so yummy. It's just Oregon Chai which you can buy at the grocery store, but I did that and tried to duplicate it on my own with mixed results. They're super friendly and the food is great, I've even had sandwiches for lunch there a few times and was impressed. I'll keep going back!

• Visited July 2011