“Just what we were looking for”

The Works Bakery Cafe'
Ranked #14 of 28 Bakeries in Portland
Price range: US$1 - US$9
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: The Works to you: humanely-raised, naturally-cured meats and poultry with no antibiotics or added hormones. Local eggs from cage-free chickens. Hormone- and antibiotic-free milk and cream cheese from Vermont family farms. Breakfast and lunch sandwiches and paninis on artisan bread, wraps or traditional boiled-and-baked bagels made with unbleached, unbromated flour. Fresh salads. Hearty, from scratch soups. Fresh-fruit smoothies. Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee. Thoughtfully sourced, local when possible.
Tampa, Florida
“Just what we were looking for”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is a great soup, salad, and sandwich place, reasonably priced. It was recommended by the Manager of the Salt Shop down the street (where we got some great salt chocolate) and we are very glad we went. My son and I had pasta fagioli with fresh bread, my husband had the veggie burger. The menu looked full of natural choices reasonably priced. We would return!

• Visited December 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My Aunt and I were Christmas Shopping and this place was recommended. We were looking for soup and sandwiches and this place was perfect. Sandwiches are made fresh and the offerings are unique. Some of the table areas had big sofa chairs. I had a roasted artichoke panini and clam chowder. Very good. The Chowder was thick and rich. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. I would go back.

• Visited December 2013
York, Maine
“Good food and service”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Nice staff, clean grounds, process of ordering is self explanatory. Tuna melt Panini was very good. Not greasy and the sour dough bread was great! The garden humus wrap was good as well.

• Visited September 2013
Jennifer F, Guest Relations Manager at The Works Bakery Cafe', responded to this review, 2 October 2013
StephV44: Thank you for taking the time to post a review! I am glad that you had a good experience with us, and I have passed your comments along to our Manager, Amy! Please stop back in anytime! ~Jennifer
(P.S.- I notice you have a service-member in your picture: from one veteran to another, please send along my thanks for their service!)
Dover, New Hampshire
“No Coffee, Really?”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My family stopped at the Works about 3pm for a hot drink after visiting the art musem. There is
a Dunkin Doughnuts across the street, but we try local places when we can. This was a mistake.
The Works had no fresh coffee, but tried to sell us the stale, burnt coffee that had been sitting
there all day. We asked for our money back, and the manager did not even apologize.
we just left. Our son did like the berry smoothie.

• Visited March 2013
Portland, Maine
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I love this place! They're in such a convenient location, I often stop by when I'm shopping downtown or meeting clients. They have delicious sandwiches, a good drink selection, delicious desserts, and the people watching out the front window is great. And very affordable!

Visited November 2012