“Over-rated”
Review of Five Fifty Five

Five Fifty Five
Reserve with OpenTable
Five Fifty Five is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 623 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oak Street
Description: Steve and Michelle Corry, the proprietors of Five Fifty-Five, arrived in Portland armed with a passionate vision and extensive experience in the restaurant industry. Steve began his culinary career as a brew master at several breweries in Northern California. In 1999, he attended the New England Culinary Institute in Burlington Vermont. After graduating in 2001, he returned to California to work at Domaine Chandon in Napa Valley. A graduate of Boston University with a Bachelor's Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Administration, Michelle Corry has worked at numerous prestigious establishments, including the French Laundry in Napa. Together, they have envisioned a dining experience that would combine a comfortable atmosphere, professional service, and fresh, simple, and delicious food sourced locally. Steve and Michelle Corry would like to welcome you to their first collaborative, Five Fifty-Five.
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The best part of this meal was the conversations with the visitors at the next table, a woman and her grandson. They tasted and talked and enjoyed their experience, unfortunately more than I did. The 5-course tasting menu was uneven and uninspired. Five Fifty Five aspires to great things, but they don't pull it off. A couple of days later, the details of the meal had disappeared from memory. Being forgettable is not a recommendation.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I highly recommend the tasting menu. Our waiter described this as the chef spicing up the menu, and he was correct. Everything was beautifully presented and decadent.

When you go to Portland, this is a must!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife and I had dinner here recently while in the Portland area. We made reservations as it was a Saturday night. We both decided to choose the five course tasting menu with wine pairings. It was unbelievably good. The meal and the hostess were excellent. And the timing of each course was just right. I had the carrot soup, then foie- gras terrine which was unbelievable, the truffled mac and cheese, the artisanal cheese plate with chefs selection of two cheeses with fruit compote-costini-nuts,, and finally some sort of lemon cake which was delicious! We live near Boston and go out to many Boston restaurants.This was as good as many of the Boston places we go to for dinner. When we are in the area we plan on making this one of our stops. Worth the trip.

1  Thank James C
seamusfinn, Owner at Five Fifty Five, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

thank you so much for posting your review. we appreciate your feedback and are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience. we look forward to seeing you again!
michelle corry,
proprietor/gm

Reviewed 10 November 2013

In general, we found the Five Fifty Five to be which was very good but lacking a few ways. Doon't take this the wrong way though, I would go back again.

We started with a champagne flight that was thoroughly enjoyable, and a Joseph Drouhin 2009 Morey Saint Denis Burgundy that worked well with the meal.

I went with the prix fixe; allium salad, Wriggin's farm pork with rye spatze, parsnip and swiss chard. For dessert I had the milk and cookies; oreo panna cotta, cookie dough ice cream and chocolate lace. The other meal was the greens salad, lobster mac and cheese with the concord grape souffle for dessert.

The alium salad is basically a bunch of different onions and not as tasty as I had hoped (don't mix it with the Burgundy, they collide badly). The grens were really good. The pork was awesome but the lobster in the mac and cheese was rubbery and because of that, not great. The concord grape souffle was absolutely beautiful.

Service was good, the restaurant is not really kid-friendly and it was a little noisy, but tolerable. The wine list is one of the better that I've seen. They restaurant has an interesting layout with a second floor that overlooks the main floor and I think I'd like to try that area next time. I only saw three window seats and you have to specify that you want one when you reserve.

Although a positive experience, 555 did not quite meet my expectations, but I'd like to give them another shot sometime soon.

1  Thank Rik T
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I'd like to start by stating I am only reviewing the service at this restaurant--we left before we ever tasted any food. 555 was recommended by our hotel concierge who made our reservation. However, it did not appear that we had a reservation and no table was available. After waiting in the restaurant for 10 minutes we told the hostess we would wait outside and walked around the area actually hoping to find another restaurant with no luck. We came back in after about 15 minutes and our table was still not ready. Finally, someone came and took us through the dining room, past the kitchen area where there were stacks of dirty dishes and up a flight of stairs. Our table was waiting for us directly at the top of the stairs and by that point I had had enough. I told the server (different from the hostess) that this table was unacceptable and we left. This incident took place on September 21, 2013.

I have since read glowing reviews and this may be an excellent restaurant. However, with a reservation I would not expect the poor atitude and lack of responsiveness we encountered.

hello, we are sincerely sorry that you did not have a positive experience at 555. if you have a moment we would love to discuss this with you and see if we can make up for your less than satisfactory evening. it would be helpful to get the name of the hotel, just to ensure there was not a mix up on their end...? of course, either way, it is our policy to seat guests immediately, as no matter whose error it was, the customer should never suffer. certainly, we will use your review as a training tool to ensure that our host/hostesses know how to better handle these situations in the future. we are additionally sorry that you were put in a table you did not enjoy, but i believe the hostess was trying to accommodate you as soon as possible, knowing you were anxious to sit immediately. again, we hope you will give us the chance to resolve this issue and make it up to you,
sincerely,