“Good food and beer, nice staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Little Tap House

Little Tap House
Ranked #52 of 607 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a craft beer gastro-pub with a farm to table menu. Locally sourced, locally loved. Residing in the seaside town of Portland, ME. Nestled between the Arts District and West End, Little Tap House resides kitty-corner to the Portland Museum of Art and sits just steps away from such venues like the State Theater, Civic Center, and One Longfellow Square. 14 Rotating taps; curated to be maine-centric. Drink fresh, drink local. [ Often featured ] // banded horn, rising tide, funky bow, maine beer co, bissell brothers, allagash, geary's brewing, barreled souls, foundation brewing, oxbow, atlantic brewing, gneiss brewing, marshall wharf, bunker brewing.
Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
“Good food and beer, nice staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Inviting 'little' restaurant bar. Lots of local Maine beers on tap and a small but tasty menu. Prices broadly on par with other places for beer at $5-6 a pint

• Visited February 2014

Bar Harbor, Maine
“Underwhelming across the board”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

The restaurant advertises itself as craft brews, farm to table, locally sourced, and all that good stuff, so our hopes were pretty high going in. Unfortunately, we were pretty disappointed. There was a really loud party near the bar and because the dining room is small, their noise tended to monopolize the entire space. That didn't help set a very relaxing tone from the beginning. For a place that advertises itself as a craft brew destination, their selection was small and common place (if you are already a craft beer drinker). I passed on the charcuterie plate with three generic meat selections I could get at the super market. Weirdly, our server's parting but cheerful words when we received our meals: 'Try to enjoy your dinner!'. Well...okay... Also, I've worked in a restaurant kitchen so I know that food is handled to some degree. No problem. But two of our dishes had visible finger prints. Maybe a lighter hand next time when testing for temperature. Otherwise, my meal was OK; my companions were pretty disappointed. In the incredible Portland food scene, this place is well behind its competitors.

Portland, Maine
“Good Brunch Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I'd been wanting to have a meal here since this restaurant opened within the past year. I had held off until now because I resented that they broke City law by placing their outside tables within the 4-foot width required for pedestrians using the sidewalk. Not only is it unlawful, it is inconsiderate. Since it is early spring, I decided to 'get over it' for now... and go in to try their brunch, as I'd heard it was good. This was true.

I went with my sister and a friend on a Sunday. We were greeted straight-away and we asked to sit at a sunny table along the window in the back of the front room- no problem. The inside of the restaurant is darker, and definitely has a pub-feel to it, which is not what we were looking for. We wanted a real table, with real table-side service. Our waiter, Evan, arrived shortly after we sat down, and took our beverage order. I was disappointed to learn that, besides drip coffee, there was pretty much not anything else I could order for a hot drink. My sister and I opted to stay with water, but my friend got coffee, and he said it was very good. Evan came back shortly thereafter to answer any menu questions and take our order. We noted that he did not remove the fourth place setting, and that there were no spoons on the table (for stirring coffee, for example). We also had to ask for salt & pepper shaker, which were brought over promptly.

I started with a demi Caesar salad with anchovies. Unfortunately, before I could eat much of it, our main dishes arrived. While we liked our waiter, who was friendly and efficient, the timing of food delivery lacked finesse. My friend ordered the poutine with scrambled eggs. It was a good-sized portion and he liked his meal very much. My sister and I both ordered the corned beef hash and eggs, with corn bread biscuit. The portions were smaller and the food was sort of bland (hence, asking for salt & pepper) but the corned beef was fresh and we enjoyed it. All 3 entrees were served in medium-sized square bowls: I found it a bit awkward getting the fork into the corners to get to the food, though we thought the dishware was an interesting choice. At around $40.00 plus tip for 3 persons, the cost was reasonable.

The atmosphere is a bit noisy at Little Tap House. It is, after all, a pub/restaurant. A live folk singer played his guitar and sang during brunch: he was quite good and we enjoyed this special touch of them having live music. I would go back to this restaurant. I'd like to try lunch or dinner, and sitting outside in the nice weather would be fun, if they would only be more cognizant of the 4 feet required for pedestrians, which is a City ordinance, not just a personal preference.

1 Thank James F
Auburn, Maine
“Just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

The lunch menu was quite limited in terms of choices. I thought the prices were high for the type of food they were serving--our bill came to almost $40 for two burgers, a pint of beer, and a coke. The food was just okay, I think perhaps the ingredients were better than the preparation. I was hoping there would be a more extensive local beer choice on offer, especially of the small Portland microbreweries that you don't normally see served in restaurants. I thought the venue had sort of an odd vibe--the sight lines are chopped up by what appears to be a supporting wall, the music was bizarre, there was some odd decor without any sort of explanation. Service was good. Parking options were limited in that area. I'm glad I tried it once, but I wouldn't plan to return.

Peaks Island, Maine
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Seared salmon in white bean, bacon, kale ragout - A+
Potato, leek, bacon soup with chive crostini - A+
Beet, goat cheese, dried cranberry, orange, candied walnut salad with balsamic reduction - A+
Apple, macadamia nut strudel with vanilla ice cream and caramel drizzle -B-
Rivals the best restaurants in Portland at ideal prices. Go there and enjoy!

Visited March 2014