“Staff GREAT, food not so great”
Review of Little Tap House

Little Tap House
Ranked #43 of 642 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$9 - US$27
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Description: We are a craft beer gastro-pub with a farm to table menu. Locally sourced, locally loved. Residing in the seaside town of Portland, ME. Nestled between the Arts District and West End, Little Tap House resides kitty-corner to the Portland Museum of Art and sits just steps away from such venues like the State Theater, Civic Center, and One Longfellow Square. 14 Rotating taps; curated to be maine-centric. Drink fresh, drink local. [ Often featured ] // banded horn, rising tide, funky bow, maine beer co, bissell brothers, allagash, geary's brewing, barreled souls, foundation brewing, oxbow, atlantic brewing, gneiss brewing, marshall wharf, bunker brewing.
Reviewed 4 June 2014

It hurts to write this review because I thought the staff and our waitress especially (Sarah) were phenomenal! Sarah was super helpful in deciding what else to do and see in the Portland area. She took our orders promptly and was always around if we needed something. Sarah, herself, would get 5+ stars. The girl who sat us (outside) was also very pleasant.

I don't eat organic meats or dairy due to the possible animal cruelty issues associated with it, so I opted for the Reuben Sandwich (though I really wanted the chicken or steak, both of which were organic). The sandwich was lacking in flavor but edible. I opted for Sweet Potato fries with my sandwich and they tasted like straight vegetables. They were crunchy when bitten into and had an overwhelming veggie taste with a coating of fried breading around it. I actually couldn't eat them, I hated the taste so much. That being said, we also had the fried Mozzarella for an appetizer and it was AMAZING! I was hoping that the appetizer was a precursor for what was to come with the entree but unfortunately it wasn't.

Not sure I'd go back. Maybe for some appetizers.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

First time since they opened, was seated by a girl with such a frown it was almost funny, all the staff walked around like this except for our waiter. He was friendly, but to be honest the music they had on was louder than most concerts we attend. We ordered the poutine appetizer, fries were soggy, 2 little pieced of cheese on the top, and a little tiny gravy on the bottom. Then 1 hour later our dinner came, fish/chips and a sandwich. By this time both of us had headaches from the music blasting so loud, and everyone in the place yelling across the table trying to have a conversation. The fries were not seasoned, limp, and the sandwich was soggy. The fish was light and good, the best part of the evening. As I am writting this almost an hour later, my ears are still ringing..........................Not sure what crowd they are trying to attract but we will not be back for sure and we live right down the street from them.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Booked a large table for a mother's day brunch. Staff was accommodating and helpful, funny and swift. Got our delicious meals on time and were very pleased by the entire visit. I've gone there for beer primarily but enjoyed the food, staff and attitudes. Keep it up!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

First visit to "Tap Room"... The steak was perfectly cooked. Flavor outstanding. Only negative is the tremendous noise level....this is not a place for a quiet,intimate dinner. There is a few small tables, a little removed from the front door and bar area...but you will be sitting near the kitchen. If noise doesn't bother you, then be certain to visit...

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Yes, they serve craft brews. Apparently $6-$8/ pint is the accepted norm nowadays, but to me that's very pricey, especially since they do the smaller glass for the high octane beers thing here, which I feel is a rip off.

The two beers I tasted were good, but not good enough to warrant that price point.

We shared the cheese platter appetizer and, while the cheeses were delicious and the presentation was pretty, the portions were tiny and there was not enough crostini to eat even those small portions. We kept expecting the waitress to bring more without being asked, but were disappointed, so we just scraped up the remaining cheese and ate it off the knife. At $12, this appetizer was too small, even by small plate standards.

I was particularly shocked at the price of the hamburgers. $13.50 for a very ordinary looking burger is nuts. This isn't New York, it's Maine! A lousy burger shouldn't command haute cuisine prices.

The room was comfy and the hip, young, black clad servers were pleasant and reasonably attentive, but I got the impression they were more concerned with their own looks than our dining experience.

We arrived during happy hour and the bar was full, but the tiny dining room was nearly empty. We noticed at least one couple leave after reviewing the menu, probably shocked at the prices.

By the time happy hour ended the bar was nearly empty, which speaks volumes.Maybe the skinny jeans crowd is comfortable with this pricing. We weren't. There's better value out there.