“Discover the FAKE Dinosaurs”

Discover the Dinosaurs
Ranked #12 of 13 Fun & Games in Portland
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Discover the FAKE Dinosaurs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

First of all, read the review below by SoCalArt. It's the most accurate, matter of fact review of this very bad event. I was so mad by the horrible experienced that I've been posting my review in other sites (Yelp, TicketMaster, Facebook, etc.). I simply want to warn people: DO NOT GO TO THIS EVENT!

Now to my own review: Hopefully by the time you find this review you are considering and not actually gone to see the so called "Discover the Dinosaurs" exhibit. In my case I'm writing the review after I was completely ripped off by this sorry excuse of an exhibit in Fort Worth, TX. There's nothing remotely interesting for either children or adults. The supposedly realistic dinosaurs looked so fake and were in such bad shape that they couldn't even entertain my 10 year old niece. My family and I were in and out in less than 30 minutes! That's how long it took us to see the ENTIRE exhibit which was made out of black curtain partitions in a large exhibit hall. They use woodchips and camouflage nets to cover the rickety dollies on which the non-working animatronics animals are mounted on. In all honesty, we could have spent more time there if we had made the lines for the overcrowded bouncy houses or spend even more money on buying overpriced toys and pictures. By the way, that's what this exhibit is about: how to fool people by overadvertise, oversell and overprice a totally class C event to make money. If you want to learn how to rip off the public, then go see this... otherwise, visit and sponsor your local science museum.

Visited March 2014
15 Thank Julio C

Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I cannot remember the last time I went to an event and felt more ripped off. There were no life size exhibits, most were falling apart, and none seemed 'museum' quality, but of course I am used to the Houston museum of natural science. There were buttons that were supposed to make the exhibits move, but none, and I mean none, worked. The putt putt golf was not set up correctly, the moon walks were no better than Pump it up, and we were done in 45 minutes. DO NOT Go! Parents will pay $18 each to watch their kids play. Not only is it a big rip-off, they have other activities that cost even more money. This is a scam and someone should shut them down. It will be cheaper to go to your local museum and then to pump it up.

Visited March 2014
10 Thank Mark T
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Ruined a nice day in Raleigh”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

If you are like me, you are reading this review after you paid an outrageous sum to get into this garbage dump. Sorry about that. Now we both know to read reviews before plunking down $20/person to get into a scam like this.

If you were fortunate enough to read these reviews before going to this "exhibit", then heed the advice that everyone else has given. Do not go. If you are given free tickets, do not go. If you are invited to go by friends or family, show them these reviews and don't let them go. If you are paid to go, determine how much your lawyer charges by the hour, multiply that by three, carry the one...whatever; don't go. Its not worth it. It is a waste of money and time.

Visited February 2014
11 Thank Luvbothmykids
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Total Rip Off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

This was the worst "exhibit" ever. What a complete waste of time and money. Could have saved my money and taken my daughter to the dinosaur park 20 minutes from house for this. I'm so disappointed...over priced...nothing but dirty moonbounces with two hour wait lines. Not like they depicted in the commercials. Disgusted!!!!

Visited February 2014
6 Thank Treyhan
SoCal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Soviet Era Lines - In Los Angeles”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I heard radio commercials and saw a television ad that made this seem like a chance for kids and adults to have a great experience looking at dinosaurs and have some family fun. Well, all of that anticipation died a slow death upon arriving at the Los Angeles Convention Center on Sunday, January 12, 2014.

First of all, not one sign anywhere outside the Convention Center. Zero. Where to park? Which door to enter? Nothing.

Picked a door and went in to look for directions. Nothing. Zero. Followed people with little kids up an escalator and after a quarter mile walk, we found a line with about 300 people in it. Figured this was the line for the Security check so I went to the end. A person approached me and asked if I had pre-purchased tickets. I said yes, they are on my iPhone. He said I had to go to the end of the line. I said I thought this was the end of the line. He pointed outside through the glass doors. We went outside to wait with (no exaggeration) about 5000 other suckers. it took 95 minutes to work our way to the actual "event". We were hustled through the door into a maze of black curtain backdrops and some rubber covered machines, a few of which moved slightly and growled. Picture taking was difficult as multiple people would run in front of you or stand in front of your kid.

The first area is where the dinosaurs are and it took about 12-15 minutes to walk through and see everything there was to see. It was pretty crowded and uncomfortable, but the "best" was yet to come. We passed through a black curtain doorway into the larger area and a virtual sea of people. To our left was about a quarter acre store of cheaply made, overpriced dinosaur themed, useless stuff. My kid was focused on the bouncy houses off in the distance so I avoided the store altogether. As we approached the play area, I noticed the lines. Probably at least an hour for every attraction. About 4-5 bouncers and three mechanical dinos to ride. This, 15 minutes after standing on concrete for 90 minutes just to get in.

Of course my daughter wanted to do everything, but I knew riding a T-Rex was one of two things she had talked about all week, so we went to that line. Half an hour into the wait she was sitting on the floor. After an hour wait, she got to ride the T-Rex which was about the size of a small horse and growled. She was happy. I was doing a head count and calculating how much these scammers were making off the crowd of disgruntled parents. There was an air of resentment I have never felt from such a large portion of any crowd.

The other thing she wanted to do was use a brush to dust sand off of dinosaur bones like a real paleontologist. They had about three 4' x 8' sandboxes with plastic skeletons glued to the bottom, covered by about a half inch of sand that the kids brushed back and forth onto each other. At least 15 kids surrounded each sandbox, sadly waiting for one of the four cheapie throw-away paint brushes that were provided for this family-fun event. Most had about half of the bristles worn away. My daughter waited for 12 minutes before she got one. It was sad to see the look of disappointment on the kids faces while they waited for a brush. Seriously, the promoters should have spent $75 and bought 100 of these at Home Depot.

After that, there was nothing else to do that wouldn't cost extra money. I read in a Yelp review that people waited 30 minutes to buy a $8 bag of rocks to run through a sluice like they were miners. What did that have to do with dinosaurs I will never know.

So, after being on site for 4 hours, 3+ hours of which was standing in line on hard concrete floors, I decided it was time to leave. I got no complaints from my 9 year old. She wanted to sit down somewhere, anywhere. The whole experience was less a dinosaur experience than it was a replication of the old Soviet Union with a line to buy bread and a line to buy sausage and a line to buy milk. People got in lines and sent someone to see what the line was for, just like in Mother Russia.

To me, the money wasted wasn't the big complaint. This event is sold as a family fun and educational experience. My kid enjoyed the T-Rex ride and couldn't care less that it cost Daddy about $100 including parking and lunch and took 4 hours. The reality is that it is a few rubbery dinosaur robots with very little educational content. I didn't see any event personnel other than the harried ticket checkers and the ride operators. Absolutely no interaction with the kids. No learning experience.

Discover the Dinosaurs left me feeling used. It was like the carnival flyers that promise Games, Prizes, Showgirls only to leave the bumpkins broke, disappointed and remorseful. I think a trip to the Natural History Museum and the La Brea Tar Pits would be a better use of your time. I felt stupid that I didn't read any reviews for this before I went because my daughter really wanted to go. I just hoped for the best but I don't feel that the promoters aim that high.

This morning I searched on-line and was shocked but not surprised by the negative reviews posted in every city this event has appeared. There really isn't any value for the money spent and the conditions are unpleasant to put it mildly. Long lines for everything, little in the way of educational content, loud and crowded conditions. Music that sounds like every female singing competition show contestant blasting over the cries of bored children. Shoulder to shoulder. People trying to cut across the multiple lines. People struggling to push strollers through the crowd. Not much to actually do for anyone, regardless of age. Nothing for adults or really small kids.

They should stop advertising this as an educational and fun experience and show some video of the poor suckers standing for hours in line to see not much of anything. For me the best part of this show was walking out the door and heading for the snack bar before heading home. I felt like I was freed after being trapped in a mine cave-in. After being fleeced by these carnies, the snack bar at the Convention Center seemed like a bargain. $5 for a slice of pizza? Thank you, at least I got something for my money and a place to sit down!

Visited January 2014