“Best Bite in Portland”

Dining options: After-hours
Massachusetts
“Best Bite in Portland”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were looking for a late lunch in the Old Port, on a Saturday, which isn't as easy as it sounds even in this foodie town. A lot of the restaurants here that serve a nice lunch, only do so on weekdays and then open for dinner only on Sat. There are tons of brew pub type places with the wings and fries, but there just had to be a really good bite out there and boy did we find it.
At The Blue Rooster, it's order at the counter and seating is several stools facing the wall or a couple of benches that are turned to the only window and of course takeout.
We ordered Caroline's Pulled Pork sandwich, served on a huge homemade biscuit. Nicely seasoned tender pork, chopped slaw and sour dill pickle slices made for the best sandwich I have had in a long time. About 6 sandwiches were on the board along with several hot dog combinations. Seems each menu item has been perfectly crafted to give a spark to the taste buds. All I can say is "umami"!

• Visited September 2013

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“What a great little place”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

A friend and myself were traveling up the coast of Maine around Labor Day 2013. A friend had mentioned Blue Rooster so I thought we would add it to our itinerary. We were not disappointed.
We had eaten breakfast in Portsmouth, NH and weren't really hungry so thought we would have a snack. We ordered one lobster roll, tater tots and fried Brussel's sprouts to share. The lobster roll was wonderful, the tater tots were too, but the sprouts were absolutely incredible. Don't miss this gem, you won't be sorry.

• Visited September 2013
natrona heights, pa (slightly north of pittsburgh)
“Great lunch!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We tried the lobster roll, very yummy and different, although not for lobstah roll purists. The hot dog wrapped in bacon was amazing, and the Thai tea really good. It's the fried Brussels sprouts with sweet chili sauce that will bring us back...the most delicious presentation of Brussels sprouts ever! Very fun, funky place just off the beaten track behind the dog store.....check it out!

• Visited August 2013
“Felt good after I was finished!”
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

Popped in after a whale cruise and saw people everywhere carrying brown bags from the pier. I stopped a guy and asked what's in the bag? He stated a sandwich from the Blue Rooster. I had to find out so arounded the corner and in this small carved out section on the side street laid a little storefront with people standing all around. In I went to find the kitchen is staring me in the face. The first thought that came to mind, clean! Great smell and interesting little delights sitting on the counter accompanied the cleanliness. Ordered a Plain Jane for the son, a Cuban for myself and the wife and daughter split a farmer Ted. All was good and my stomach thanked me for the super nutritious grub!

• Visited July 2013
Hampton, New Hampshire
“more than a sandwich shop”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Really surprised at how good the food was at this little placed that looked like a standard sandwich place. everything had a special twist to it. Schooner Tuna is the best tuna sandwich I ever had

Visited June 2013