“Best spot in Portland”

Walter's
Ranked #22 of 614 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Matthews, North Carolina
“Best spot in Portland”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I've been coming to Walter's for over 10+ years and every trip to Portland, I live in NC, would not be complete unless I've eaten here. If it's eating in the bar or bringing in customers, the food and wine selction is alway top notch, and the wait service is exceptional. Most of the time I allow them to select the wine, and I honestly do not recall something I've not enjoyed. Top food choice -- Calamari (top 3- in the US), Brussel Sprout Salad (Outstanding).
Sides - Lobster Mac!!! Entree' Ahi Tuna, or my favorite, the Short Ribs!

• Visited March 2014

Bangor, Maine
“Decadence in the Old Port”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Spectacular dining for a special occasion or a romantic date. The wine list was wonderful and the waiter was helpful in choosing a wine that paired well with both out meals.

The food was well prepared and the flavors were very unique and beautifully melded together.

The atmosphere was very romantic, although we were there early because of other plans, so we had the place to ourselves. I'm not sure how it would be on a very busy night in the summer.

• Visited January 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Right in Line With Reviews”
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Very delicious good. On par price wise with other restaurants in Portland of this quality. Classy place but you don't need a tie. Great drink and dessert menu as well. Can't go wrong anything on the menu.

New Hampshire
“Very good, but really, take a moment to clean the place”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My biggest pet peeve to any restaurant is to see it dirty in the dining room. I can't tell you how many times I see dust, cobwebs, food splattered, etc. and neither the owner or chef take a morning - even only twice a year - to clean the place. Well, my wife and I were seated at at a table up against the back mustard (?) colored wall and the wall was absolutely disgusting with food that was splattered and dripped down. I could then see that a large red pillar jutting out on the next table also had drip stains about 6 feet off the floor. Really? For a place with a top notch reputation, take a moment and clean the place! By the way, it's not fair to say the food wasn't very good, but I wouldn't be standing in line to come back any time soon.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank SouthwestNH
Baltimore, Maryland
“I must have expected too much”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I made a reservation weeks in advance to treat my friends for allowing me to stay with them over the New Years holiday. The menu seemed eclectic and exciting on the website.Once seated, the atmosphere was bland and tables much too close together. You could not help but be bombarded by conversations around you. Table settings/decorations/chairs..all bland which did not purport for an exciting meal. Our waiter also had a monotone voice, looked and acted as if he would rather be home by the fire on this very cold night. It would have been nice if there were a place to put our coats, hats, etc. Being so close to other tables, coats on backs of chairs made it impossible to settle in at a table comfortably.My appetizer was billed as an adobo pork egg roll. It looked like a large egg roll but tasted like dry, old beef soaked in water to add moisture. My $25 bistro burger was cooked perfectly as ordered, however the pesto sauce overwhelmed the whole thing. I picked off the limp, miniscule tidbits of lobster to find no flavor at all. Truffle oil fries were greasy and so overpowering that they no longer tasted like fries. My guests' small filet mignons were excellently prepared.

• Visited December 2013