“Great lunch spot if you work on Forest Ave”
Review of Bayou Kitchen

Bayou Kitchen
Ranked #133 of 621 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Brunswick, Maine
“Great lunch spot if you work on Forest Ave”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The food is really good, homemade, always consistent and the service is nice and speedy. Perfect lunch combo. It can be a bit spicy, which is wonderful. Portions are LARGE, you will not be hungry. Don't forget to try the cornbread.

Visited August 2013

Portland, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Favorite place in Portland, ME!”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

They only serve breakfast and lunch, but it is the best I have ever had. The menu is authentic cajun, and no matter what you pick it is going to be good. I have tried almost every item, and have yet to be let down. Hands down best buscuits and gray I have ever had. Not on the menu, only have it every so often as a special. Hands down best home made hash I have erver had! There is a wall of hot sauces for you to browse and use to kick up your meal. FYI: if you go on Saturday or Sunday there is usually a wait. Don't let that discourage you...SO WORTH THE WAIT! Also, they cooks are so fast. I am always shocked at how fast they pump food orders. A must try if you are looking for good cajun food!!!!!!!!

• Visited September 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“4 Words - Banana Bread French Toast”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We were in town for an event and just picked this place based on proximity and reviews. It was yummy. We had the amazing French Toast, an omelet, and some yogurt with fruit. All the dishes more than lived up to our expectations. Even the coffee was tasty and I am not usually a coffee drinker. My only warning is to get there early since the place is small and the locals know about it.

• Visited August 2013
Littleton, New Hampshire, United States
“If you like flavor & food, you must eat here”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I've been to Portland several times to visit friends and EVERY SINGLE TIME I've gone to Bayou. Every single time it's fantastic. I am a little vegetarian person and I can't stop from stuffing myself to near explosion. I HIGHLY recommend the Cajun scramble. You won't be sorry if you like crawfish, jalapenos, and sausage (yes, sausage. it's that good I abandon my usual veggie ways!)

Also, every time I go, I see the same guy (I assume the owner?) He's super friendly along with all staff, and I always feel like a regular even if I come only a few times a year.

nomnomnom

• Visited July 2013
Portland, Maine
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I've been here several times, and they really do make good food. But recently 2 friends and I tried to come for breakfast and were essentially turned away by the lack of service. The place was busy, but there was at least one empty table that we could see. We waited in front of a sign that said "please wait to be seated" for about 15 minutes, and no one acknowledged us, not a smile, not a "hi", despite the fact that a waitress wandered by several times, and we were literally standing 3 feet away from the cooks (open kitchen), one of whom tried to shove hot food up onto a counter that I was leaning on without saying a word to me. How strange!

May have been reflective of bad management (short-staffed? no host/ess?) rather than unfriendly servicepeople. Hard to say.

In any case, we were disappointed, as we had driven several miles out of our way specifically to come here and were excited about it. I guess they have plenty of money and don't need our business.

• Visited June 2013