“A Portland Landmark” 4 of 5 bubbles

Great Lost Bear
Ranked #42 of 603 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York, NY
“A Portland Landmark”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Before spending time in Portland, everyone I spoke with mentioned the Great Lost Bear as a must-see, not just for its amazing interior and endless selection of beers on tap, but also for the good casual American fare. It's now my first stop when I come through town. I've never had anything that wasn't at least "good" from the menu, but the chicken and burgers are top notch. Wait staff is friendly and local -- you're liable to get lost in conversation -- and you can end up staying through to the evening because the bar scene is also great. This is worth a stop if you're anywhere nearby.

• Visited December 2012

Seattle
“A Portland Classic.....but not fit for groups.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I grew up in the Portland, ME area and have been enjoying the Great Lost Bear for almost 20 years. The beer selection is good, the food is usually great and for these reasons I thought it would be a lot of fun to gather a bunch of friends together to celebrate a 60th birthday. I called ahead to ensure they could handle a group of people on a Saturday afternoon, was told it would not be a problem to arrive at 3:30. Another family member called twice to ensure it would be ok - we were told on three different occasions it would not be a problem, yet they could not take a reservation (we were fine w/ that due to being told that a 3:30 arrival time would be 'quiet'.

We arrived, we were placed in a back corner - which we were thrilled with. After the entire group arrived the servers tried placing us in a corner booth - a booth that would comfortably seat 8 - we were a party of 14. After a little questioning we were moved to a different corner - which still wasn't super awesome. I'm still not sure why we were shuffled around so much.

After we were seated (the second time) and handed menus we were told they could not provide separate checks. Seriously? We were a group of 14, mostly couples. They could use one tab and let the group split the tab - they will take as many credit cards or cash as needed to pay the bill. Not so awesome, as the party organizer I was left with a $171 tab because people either forgot what they ordered to drink or did not pay.

I will not recommend the GLB and will not contribute any more money to this establish.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Omaha, Nebraska
“A very fun place to eat and visit.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

It took us a while to find this rather interesting place to eat after the Portland Marathon...not realizing that this eatery is fairly close to the university campus. Our daughter got the recommendation to go to this restaurant from a couple of guys at the race and it was a great suggestion. The décor was very eclectic with lots of fun pictures and items on the walls. The food was quite good as was the beer. Our customer service was wonderful and we would certainly visit this place again when we are in Portland.

• Visited October 2013
New York
“Great beer selection, food very disappointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Let’s start out with the good. Lots and lots of beers on tap! Tons of local stuff with featured brewers on most if not all Thursdays. The atmosphere is very cool. There is a huge bar area and very interesting signage on the walls to look at. The place is much bigger than it looks from the outside. Our waitress was quite friendly, speedy and attentive. Now the meh… the food wasn’t very good. In fact it was the worst meal I had in Maine. It wasn’t inedible, but it lacked any flavor at all. I had the taco salad which was just plain ground beef, no seasoning. The toppings were limited and the salsa was pretty flavorless. My husband had a Philly cheese steak sandwich and although he wasn’t expecting it to be better than one found in Philadelphia, it too was void of all flavor. Perhaps we just ordered the wrong things, but I don’t believe either thing we ordered to be difficult to make. The menu was quite extensive covering a wide range of dishes and cuisines. This is usually not a good thing in my opinion though. With the atmosphere and the wide range of beers it is easy to see why locals like this place so much. It was packed when we were there so obviously they have a good business going. I also noticed that Portland doesn’t have many chain restaurants (which IS a good thing). That being the case my thought is that this is the equivalent to one of the chains that serve mostly bar like foods. I think I would return, but probably skip the food and sit at the bar for some brews.

2 Thank Inferno2727
Brunswick, Maine
“Great Beer, Great Service, Good Pub Fare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

I have been going to the Great Lost Bear since I was in college, lets just say for a long time. There is always an amazing selection of beer, the food is always good, nothing fancy, just good food. There is outside seating in good weather, you can sit at the bar or have table service. It's good for a crowd, couples, kids, family. There is some parking. Dependable, reliable choice.

1 Thank SSSNES