“Best Dishes I've ever had”
Review of Central Provisions

Central Provisions
Ranked #15 of 623 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I ate at Central Provisions twice during my long weekend visiting Portland because I just had to return after the first meal. The caramelized sheep's milk cheese is hands down one of the best dishes I've ever eaten. The bone marrow toast was also a winner, as was the fried cauliflower and the Bread and Butter. The burrata was good but not as impressive. The service was friendly. Since there was a long wait for a table we ate at the bar downstairs both times. They serve the same food and it is more casual, less crowded, and more light and airy, plus the bartenders were happy to chat about the dishes and drinks so we learned a lot about how the dishes were made. I had no complaints whats so ever. I also thought the dishes were worth every penny I spent on them. I would travel back from New York City just to eat here again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

When in Portland do not miss walking up and down Fore street and you will see Central Provisions, its interior is smaller than when I saw a piece on TV about this place but definitely a stop you will want to make

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had an excellent lite dinner and drinks. The salads, fried cauliflower and key lime pie were fantastic.

1  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

One of the highest compliments you can pay a restaurant as a visitor to the City of Portland is that we went here 3 times in 3 days. My girlfriend and I are adventurous eaters and typically don't go back the same restaurant often, preferring to try as many menus as we can during our trips. We came here on the recommendation of local bartenders and sat at the Chef's counter for lunch, which in my opinion is the best seat in the house.

From the moment we were greeted, the entire tone of the restaurant was friendly, professional and calm. The food was executed to perfection, bursting with flavor, and each item followed the previous one with impeccable timing. The pricing is very reasonable, especially is you are someone who understands that an $18 Tuna Crudo is better than a $10 one for many reasons. For the record, the Tuna Crudo here is one of the best I've ever had. The pricing is really about whether you're someone who wants their mozzarella fried and in stick form ($7 and indigestion), or as a Maplebrook Farm Burrata with fresh strawberries, golden raisins and black olive relish ($17 and happy memories).

We came back again on a Monday night, hoping to grab a few quick items before a concert and were happily directed to the downstairs area where there is a standing area with a pleasantly sized rail for you to stand by. The restaurant was busy but not hectic. We ordered four items, and they were brought promptly, coursed perfectly, and our server was friendly, available and totally in control.

I can't praise the team at Central Provisions enough for how well they execute this concept. The Chefs and cooks are industry professionals who send beautiful food out of a tight (and impressively clean) kitchen at a rapid pace. The serving staff is knowledgeable, energetic and genuinely happy to work there. Even the support staff in the back were aware of cleaning and prepping at a noise level that didn't insert itself into the dining room. Many thanks from two greatful guests!!

1  Thank Bryan A
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Small plates are decent, if you can tolerate the rude waitstaff. If I had to do it again I would give my money and my patronage to another one of Portland’s fine establishments. Do yourself a favor and do the same.