“Original as it gets”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

This is truly an Irish pub. It has very good pub food. I have to laugh when I read peoples reviews of places like this. They go in get pub food an expect to receive 5 star restaurant quality. It's a pub. That being said it is very very good. They have a great selection of beer, and the service is friendly. When I go here, it feel good. Very Relaxing. I highly recommend Brian Brou's if you want to relax with friends,have a cold beer, some good pub grub, and a good time.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

You can't miss it in the Old Port, the big red painted brick building with the colorful parrot painted on the walls. It's location near the Convention Center makes it the logical choice to kick off a hockey game or concert, and the Sunday Irish jam session is always a good way to spend a cold winter afternoon.

It's an Irish pub, as close to what you might find in Dublin as you're likely to find in the US. I've never had a meal I would categorize as better than ordinary here though, and quite often we've been driven out of the place by the overwhelming smell of garlic coming from the obviously poorly ventilated kitchen.

Friday and Saturday nights it's uncomfortably crowded with Old Port denizens desperate to have fun, but the rest of the time it's just a good Irish pub, perfect for a few pints and a game of cribbage and some music on the long mahogany communal benches.

Leave the kids at home.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

A good bar. Very open. Lots of light. Really friendly bar-tender and good soul music playing on the radio. Oh and a dog hanging out in the bar. Always a good sign. Not a bad option for a drink.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stopped here on a Sunday late morning after visiting the art show on Congress Street. The bartender was really friendly offering suggestions of local attractions including the Flea-for-All. This was such a cool place that we never would have found otherwise. The $2 Bloody Mary is really tasty and could really be a problem if I lived to close to this place. The atmosphere is laid back and you feel like a friend upon entrance. The addition of everyone's very well behaved dogs is really cool too. This is a special place.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

On a recent business trip, a colleague I was traveling with introduced me to the Brian Boru on Center Street of Portland. Our visit was on a Sunday, later in the afternoon. The BB sits by itself on Center Street which makes it easy to find. And if you still can't find it, look for the old, very bright red building with an enormous toucan bird on the side.
Upon entering, the bar sits to the left, there is an upstairs as well as a patio. We lucked-out and got 2 seats on the ground floor at one of the picnic tables that run along the left wall after the bar. If you are claustrophobic or have social anxiety, you may want to opt for the patio because the ground floor gets cozy and a bit crowded. The entire building is only about 25 feet wide by maybe 90 feet long (I think I'm being generous.)
There were many drink specials going on that started and expired throughout the day. The $2 Bloody Mary sounded great to me until the waiter told me it expired at 3 PM. Oh well, I went with the $3 Guinness. I do have to agree with other reviews, the Guinness was lacking something though I can't put my finger on it. There were numerous other local as well as import selections to choose from should you desire. To accompany my Guinness, I was tossing a coin between the fish and chips or the bangers and mash. I asked our waiter and he said both were good and proceeded to ask me of my hunger. I informed him that I was quite hungry so he suggested the bangers and mash. GREAT SUGGESTION!!!!!! The bangers (sausages) were homemade and placed over homemade mashed potatoes covered in a Guinness gravy with sauteed onions. PERFECT!!!!!! Not only was it unbelievably tasty, it also filled me just right and didn't leave a huge lump in my stomach. My colleague had the shepherd's pie which he informed me he always has. It was a nice melange of potatoes, vegetables and beef.
I did see the fish and chips entree pass me during my visit and I'm sure I would have been very happy with that selection as well. For a starter, we both had the seafood chowder, which had haddock, shrimp, and scallops in a potato broth. It was good, but nothing mind blowing.
In the back of the bar, a group of about 10-15 musicians got together (as they supposedly do every Sunday) to play Irish music. I'm not sure if they are organized or just independents that like to show up and play. They were very good, which leads me to believe they rehearse together. As we enjoyed our meals, the BB filled up quickly. My only complaint was 1 waiter. He did a great job, but with the tight space and growing crowd, he really needed a bit of help in my opinion. So overall, a visit to the BB is definitely time and money well spent, especially on a Sunday with numerous specials as well as free entertainment.