“Sophisticated control of flavors.....I need to go back - even if it is 2.5 hours away”

Empire Chinese Kitchen
Ranked #9 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stopped in for a light dinner around 8:30pm on a Friday Night. Got seated immediately. Nice selection of beers. My wife and I shared 4 small plates - which were perfect. Honey Walnut shrimp were fantastic. Red cabbage spring rolls were tasty - I asked for some hot mustard for the spring rolls, which they didn't have, so they offered me some hot chili sauce instead, which I accepted. The hot chili sauce was made at the restaurant - and was the most fantastic use of heat in a sauce I have experienced in quite some time. It was a slow, mellow heat that was perfect. The baby bok choy was perfect. The crispy spare ribs were also delicious. Sophie, our waitress, provided great service. Not cheap - but well worth the money.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Luckily I work close by and have been 10+ times. The food keeps getting better and better & offers daily specials . Love that is not american chinese "no chicken fingers here"! Grean beans, Honey Walnut Shrimp are a staple. Highly recommend taking a chance and trying something different you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Our 2nd trip in on the 26th for an early birthday meal with Alissa as our server. Not one miss all the way around and this place stays on our top in-town dining list. We went the Empire Eggroll (pastrami yum), Garlic Greens Beans (simply done and a total wow), and the Crispy Garlic Rib special (I could have eaten a truck load of these little darlings). Entrees were the Bacon Fried Rice (yum) and the Beef & Broad Noodles (tender beef and fantastic noodles). Do drop in and be dazzled by this kitchen!

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Wonderful selection of dim sum (on the menu, not on carts) with daily specials, small & large plates, great duck broth won ton soup - a place to take your most discriminating out-of-town foodie friends. Very nice funky modern redo of an old space. It's interesting that the Empire was Portland's first Chinese restaurant, from 1916-1953, I think. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Went with a large group and everything I tasted was good. Service was good and dishes were tasty. I tried to talk them into opening one in Boston. I think I'll have to wait a while.