“Best Service I have ever had!”

The Westin Portland Harborview
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed in this Westin for just one night this past week. From the minute we arrived we were greeting with unbelievable service. They were beyond polite and friendly. They helped take everything out of the car and up to our room making sure we had everything we needed. They also provide a free shuttle to and from the hotel whenever you would like. Not to mention, the hotel is gorgeous and has the most popular bar in portland right on the roof! And if you are a young female, they have very attractive guys working here! Overall, we had a tremendous stay and it was well worth the money! I will only stay in this hotel when I go to Portland!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DArcy D
BWennerstrom, General Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you will join us again soon!

Bruce Wennerstrom

Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Lots of grays and taupe and clay colors. Very much the look that screams 2012 spa hotel. Our room on the 14th floor was fairly small - given that it was to be premium room. Lovely view, but no where to sit and look at the view. In fact there was no comfortable chair in the room.
Positives: The finishes are amazing. Lovely muted colors and perfect sheets and beds. Location for theater and museums could not be better.
Negatives: it took FOREVER to get the car via their valet system. One elevator was operating on a busy Saturday night, when there were many, many people visiting roof top dining/club.
Overall -- this is a nice addition to the hotel scene in busy Portland. I think there are some issues with pricing and what one gets for that pricing. But, we may visit again soon.

Room Tip: Not sure if using the valet has any advantage, there is a garage next door that appears to be easy a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
BWennerstrom, General Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Thank you for the review. We appreciate your feedback. I apologize about the long wait for retrieval of your vehicle. The advantages of valet are of course 24 hour service and curbside pickup/drop off. We now have three operational elevators to guest rooms.

We hope you choose Westin again should your travels bring you to Portland!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I would go out of my way to stay at a Westin hotel after this wonderful visit with my pooch. Everyone here was incredibly kind, helpful & thoughtful. My dog was given a bed, food & water bowls, and lots of love. The hotel is nicely designed, comfortable, affordable and well situated in the city.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for the review. We do love dogs! Thank you for choosing Westin. Come back soon!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

What an amazing job this hotel did with their renovation! I work for Starwood and was able to secure an employee rate for New Year's Eve 2014 so my boyfriend and I decided to take the trip up to Portland. I'm so glad we did! From the moment we got out of the car we were treated like the most important guests at the hotel for the night. We were greeted by a bellman, valet, as well as one of the managers welcoming us and taking our luggage and guiding us to the front desk for check in. The hotel looks amazing, but that only goes so far if you don't have a staff to support it. This hotel DOES. Their staff compasses completely the Westin brand and the hospitality experience overall. We were checked into our room and offered help with dinner reservations for the evening. We absent mindedly left two things in the car and on two separate occasions asked the bellman to retrieve them which he did very quickly! We headed up to Top of the East for a pre dinner drink - what a great atmosphere! We were greeted very quickly and served expeditiously as well. We returned to the hotel after dinner for a great night's sleep - we slept until 10 am with no idea how late it was! It felt so good to be able to relax. I think my favorite part was breakfast the next morning in the hotel restaurant, C - Squared. We were treated by having Evan as our server, who was talkative, efficient and able to give us recommendations as well. We were introduced to the General Manager also who was there on New Year's day! Impressive! Needless to say, we had an amazing start to 2014 and booked our next trip in the car on the way home. Bravo to an awesome stay, fabulous staff, and beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and had a great New Years! We take pride in our staff who continually are recognized for their superior service. Thank you for your kind words. We are looking forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The Westin Portland Harborview is on the footprint of the former Eastland Hotel. The inside of the building was totally gutted and rebuilt. However, in doing so, somebody had the foolish idea that the main entrance should not be handicap accessible. Three steps from the sidewalk to the entrance, 3-4 more steps up to the lobby, followed by 4-5 steps up to the elevators. The handicap accessible entrance from the street is 100+ feet down the sidewalk and around the corner to a courtyard-like entrance. Then it is another 100+ feet back to the main entrance, where one must take a circuitous ramp to the lobby, or continue up to the elevators. The staff is young, enthusiastic, and eager to attend to the guests' every need. I had a standard room, I would say - totally adequate, clean, and of decent size. The heat/air fan was quite noisy and, because of the single digit temperatures, I wasn't about to turn it off entirely. When attempting to sign in to the Internet, it indicated that the rate was $9.95. However, I was never charged - perhaps because I'm a Starwood Preferred Guest member. I ate dinner at the restaurant and the meal and service were both excellent. However, another architectural design flaw was immediately apparent. The restroom nearest to the restaurant was back down a hallway to the entrance and up to the lobby area, or further down the hallway from the entrance, half way to the handicap access entrance to the building. Both architectural "defects" would be understandable if this were the OLD building. However, this was a 2012-13 TOTAL rebuild of the interior. I would still recommend the hotel because of the quality of service and location. Hopefully, there will be some future reconsideration of the design flaws, however.

Room Tip: If there for a special event/occasion, I would definitely request an upper level room with a harbor...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
BWennerstrom, General Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately we were not able to eliminate the steps with our renovation although we were able to add a ramp that leads from the main entrance to the main elevators which is a significant improvement from previously. We hope you will choose us again should your travels bring you to Portland.

Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed there a week ago, I'm told it only opened a few weeks ago. It was fully refurbished. The hotel is great, looks like they went all out on it. Service was excellent. Restaurant was quite reasonable also. The only annoying things were that the electrical ports in the rooms were super tight, I struggled to get most of our plugs that we brought into them. Another point is the toilets - one flush and you'll know what I'm talking about. It scared the crap out of me. (Pun) they're a bit like the toilets on an aeroplane. I've never experienced that in a hotel before. One other thing to note for those with iPhones is that the clock radio in the rooms only has iPhone 4 plugs which is weird given the hotel only just opened... They probably need to look at that. However the radio does have a USB outlet on the side so you can plug in any other charging cables (or ones for iPhone 5 for that matter) the hotel does have quite a nice rooftop cocktail bar that does get quite busy. It also clogs up the lobby lifts when it opens. (This was on a Friday night. There was a line of 30 or so people trying to get up)
On the whole it was quite a pleasant stay and if probably stay there again when I'm next in town.

Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Great point regarding the iphone docking station. These were chosen to accommodate both Iphone 4 and 5. We will look to improve to the Iphone 5 docking station in the near future. We are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We live in Portland, ME and were curious about the $50million renovation that this property just underwent. We went with friends to the wonderful lounge at the top of the high rise hotel where they have completely redone a wonderful cocktail space with magnificent views. I had an espresso martini which was PERFECTION! The staff in the lobby of the hotel were very professional and welcoming, as we were early for the lounge opening and spent about 1/2 hr. in the lobby.I rec. visiting this for drinks and catching up! I believe the rooms must be gorgeous, as the lobby, although VERY modern in design, was stunning.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank unlimited L

Thank you for visiting our Top of the East lounge. It has certainly become a local favorite. Next time join us for the night!