“Clean and Comfortable”

The Westin Portland Harborview
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were suprised that we could not see the harbor from our room. This was the last hotel we stayed at on our New England trip so we were very happy with the new, large comfortable rooms. We had just stayed at the Bluenose Inn in Bar Harbor and White Barn in Kennebunk. You can see my reviews of these properties. We booked a suite and it had a nice sitting area, large closets and tons of drawers, and of course the Westin Heavenly Bed. Our room also had a refrigerator in it, however, housekeeping neglected to throw out the last guests (at least I hope it was the last guests) food. All in all we were please with the comfort of our accommodations. They also had a car to take us to dinner as well as pick us up. Unlike the Ritz Boston Commons
that only offered their car from 6-8 PM and could not even find the car at times. This was much better and for a fraction of the cost.

They also have a lounge upstairs but we did not find it comfortable. Glaring lights in your eyes and mediocre service. Not the relaxing atmosphere we were looking for.

Room Tip: Suites are large and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Portland is a great revitalization story. Great food. Really fun times in the gentrified Old Port. However, up the hill on High St is not excellent. Rather, it's depressing. The Westin's refurb of the old Eastland Hotel is a sweet idea but let it be sweet for someone else. Cool lobby and nicely appointed rooms but the hotel has a 1920's institution for the criminally insane feel about it and the bars on the windows don't help. Friendly staff, nice public spaces but stay in a hotel where you can actually VIEW the harbor.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank DrFudi
Ginny P, Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for writing a review on our tripadvisor page. We truly appreciate the feedback and thank you again for choosing to stay with us on your trip to Portland. I am glad to see you enjoyed your time in the city! I apologize that the property's decor and area did not meet your expectations. The history of the building is important to preserve thus the windows and some exterior details were not changed during the renovation.

We hope you consider staying with us in the future!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

The entire hotel staff tried really hard and mostly succeeded. Only a few little hick ups made it from a perfect stay.
Certainly a nice clean hotel and easy to walk all of Portland within 15min.
We were 3 people and all of us remarked on the rough feeling bed sheets. Mini bar was broken on arrival but swiftly exchanged. Windows can't be opened but that seems to be happening often with Westin.
I understand the Hotel is pretty new and sure they'll get certain issues under control. Overall we were happy to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Street parking can be challenging. I stayed in many big cities and had an easier time to find parkin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Ginny P, Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our tripadvisor page. We truly appreciate your feedback. I apologize about the sheets. We will address this with our laundry team right away. The windows are secured for our guests' safety. I hope that wasn't a large inconvenience for you.

We hope to see you again on property in the future!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Old brick on the outside and very modern on the inside. A bit off the main tourist section but lovely well appointed rooms and an excellent, friendly and super helpful staff. Great free breakfast for Platinum members....choose this option.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to writea review on our tripadvisor page. Thank you for your kind words in regards to our staff! I am glad to see they exceeded your expectations during your stay with us. And yes, the breakfast is fantastic! I am glad you chose to dine with us during your visit.

Hope to see you in the future! Thank you for your loyatly to Starwood and for choosing to stay with us in Portland.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Really enjoyed my stay here in mid-July. Location was good, not great as it was about a 10-15 minute walk to the main area of Portland, but close enough. Room was super clean and nicer than most Westin hotels I have stayed at in the past. Didn't eat at any of the restaurants but they looked nice from the outside. The best part was definitely the room as it was very comfortable with a nice flat screen. I'd highly recommend staying here while in Portland.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank David H

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for writing a reivew on our tripadvisor page! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay on property. It is great to see how much you enjoyed the guestroom. If you visit again please call on our shuttle for a ride to the heart of Portland. While we are just a quick walk as you mentioned, our shuttle is another option for getting downtown.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The hotel is definitely very sleek and very "hip". It was more what I would expect in New York than Portland Maine. I found it a little disappointing after five days immersed in Maine charm, to spend our last night in a rather trendy feeling spot. We found the staff far from friendly, but rather possessing an attitude to match the hotel. My husband is a platinum member of the Starwood guest program which means a lot of nights on the road and a lot of money spent to reach that level. With that status, come perks, clearly listed in their promotional materials. But the staff acted if we were really putting them out by requesting our member benefits. We actually had to call the Starwood Customer Service Line and ask them to call the hotel front desk since they gave us such grief about a late checkout, (a 4:00 check out is guaranteed with platinum status.) Rooms were very utilitarian. We had a king suite and the couches and chairs in the living room were just uncomfortable. As most people have said, you really don't have a "harbor view", some green space and a glimpse of the water. Windows are small, but I am sure that was something in the original structure and hard to change. We did miss a bath tub, at least the suite did not have one. As everyone said, it is not in the heart of Old Port as indicated and it is about a twenty minute walk to the harbor depending on where you are going there. It's not a bad walk, but when we came back at night, we felt a little uncomfortable walking on a couple of the streets, not necessarily the greatest neighborhood. Old Port was great, all the old cobblestone streets and brick sidewalks. Lots to do at the harbor, a little touristy yes, but we were there on a full moon night and it was beautiful. We had drinks and appetizers up on the 15th floor and it was the best part of the hotel in my opinion. Sweeping views, comfy sitting areas, great drinks, and friendly staff. If you like a very urban hotel where people are rude to you, this is it. It just wasn't what I expected from a Westin property.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank livealoha1959

Dear Valued Guest,

As an SPG platinum member I truly apologize about the stay you had with us. We will certainly address the lack of customer service you received during your stay from our staff. I am glad to see you enjoyed the Top of the East during your visit! It is truly the place to be when visiting Portland.

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your guest room and the property in general. We truly take the comments to heart.

We hope you consider staying with us in the future. Thank you again for your loyalty to Starwood and choosing to stay with us on your trip to Portland.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Wow! I have traveled a lot and stayed in wide array of hotels over the years but I have never been impressed enough to write a review. Without exception, every staff person I encountered was knowledgeable, professional, friendly and made me feel like I was the most important guest at their hotel. They pampered my 17 year old dog as well.....his own personal food and water bowls with a nice little mat for him to eat on AND a healthy lobster shaped dog cookie that he loved. The room was clean and roomy, the bed was so comfortable, the bathroom was clean and roomy. The overall feel of the room was luxurious! It was quiet at night, we had a nice view of the park. The guys working the valet parking service were spot on with the cars and service. I can't say enough positive things about my experience. I will definitely stay here again when I return to Portland. I tend to be a little frugal with spending money on hotel rooms but this stay was worth every single penny!

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends