“Hotel was very nice but visited on a difficult weekend as far as service....”

The Westin Portland Harborview
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Hotel was very nice but visited on a difficult weekend as far as service....”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed the night while in town for only one night and it was a very busy weekend. It was visiting day for Camps in the area. Therefore, the hotel itself was packed and way above typical occupancy.
The rooms were nice, pretty and obviously recently redone.
Staff at the front desk was welcoming as well.
The only problem was the valet. It was suggested it was better to valet but we were warned there could be a 20 minute wait for our car the next morning because so many people were leaving at the same time.
We called early and were told it was a 40 minute wait. After 1 hour and 15 minutes, we finally asked to get our car ourselves however, it came just at that time. The management cannot control how many people may have cars and how long it takes to get them out of valet (the valet staff were working as quickly as they could.) However, management should have planned better and either had many more valets or encouraged us to self park instead of encouraging us to valet.
If you are visiting Portland and want a nice hotel, I would recommend this property as I do believe the valet situation was unusual and only because of the date.

Lastly, there are good restaurants in walking distance as well as places to grab a quick breakfast if you don't want to eat at the hotel.

1 Thank ReneeFlorida27
Ginny P, Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I sincerely apologize in regards to the valet issues you experienced during your stay. As you mentioned this was a peak weekend for us with multiple requests for guest vehicles all at once. After an incredibly busy Friday morning on this particular weekend we did, and have continued to share the option of self parking in the garage next to the property. While it is not affiliated in any way with our property, it is an option that may be more suited for our guests' needs.

I am glad you enjoyed your time in Portland and would come visit us again! If you do, please reach out to the property so we can ensure your stay is most enjoyable the second time around.

Best,
Ginny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here this past weekend and reserved two rooms for a couple days, with enough points to literally book the westin in Cancun for a week.
Initially after whining by the front desk over and over again, I was given 1 room to check in, even though it was 1130, and not 330. Now.. I've been a platinum guest with spg for about 8 years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I had issues with checking in early.
Anyway, I was given a room next to the elevator, that had dirty towels still on the floor and hadn't been cleaned. I went down and said I need a cleaned room.
Skip ahead a few hours and I get a call that my rooms are now ready. Both on the bottom floor next to the elevator again.
Other things went on all weekend... A call from a manager saying that my reservation was over and I needed to get my luggage out (even though i had two days left), billing issues with the free breakfast, and so on. Overall, a bad experience.

Spg hotels all over the world check when platinum guests are checking in, and try and give them a basic upgrade. A least a somewhat decent room. Other than that, this stay was a mess...
Obviously they need time see how the SPG program as a whole is run, and instead of hiring a hundred staff members to run around the lobby and outside, spend some time training a few who can get the job done right.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank dave d
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for providing us with feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. I apologize about the poor service you received. As a platinum member we truly appreciate your loyalty to the SPG program. I am sorry that we did not follow through on the level of service we aim to consistently provide. We will address all your comments with our staff. If you plan to visit us in the future please reach out to the property and ask to speak with me, Ginny. I would be more than happy to assure you a smooth visit next time in Portland.

Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We arrived for camp visiting weekend in Maine. The valet honestly revealed that the hotel had decided to recommend visitors skip the valet (which brings in money to the hotel) and instead park in the lot that is 1/2 block down the street. The reason - too many parents wanting their valeted cars at the same time to head out to their respective children's camps. My husband and I really appreciated their honesty and interest in putting the happiness of the guests ahead of extra parking cash. We were able to leave the car out front with them when we stopped in for a quick run up to the hotel room. In addition, the hotel restaurant breakfast had healthy and delicious options, served by a truly friendly staff. The room was clean, we had every need met during our stay. We went to the bar/lounge at the top of the hotel. It has a nice view of the harbor and is a relaxing place to share a cocktail before heading out for dinner. All in all, I think we know where we'll stay next year!

Room Tip: Paid wifi, but with certain memberships, the wifi is free
2 Thank Jennifer M
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for writing a review on our tripadvisor page! Thank you for your kind words in regards to our valet staff. We will certainly pass this along to the team. Thank you for dining with us in Congress Squared and Top of the East! Our dining establishments are truly wonderful amenities to our property that I am glad to see you enjoyed.

We look forward to having you stay with us next summer if not sooner!

Best,
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Westin for 2 nights and received horrendous service. Turn down service and bathroom touching up was requested and never done. I asked to speak to a manager and one never called back. I called to ask where my laundry was and did not receive a call back. Notice this pattern of poorly returning phone calls. Then to find out the next day I was handed the same bag my laundry was in that it was not done. Nobody had any answers.

I would not recommend this hotel based on the poor quality of service I received during my stay.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank BellaDonnainDallas
Portsmouth NH
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is a nice renovation, although perhaps too minimalist. The lobby does not appear very warm or inviting, but too stark - almost like a bare bones office building. The interior decor was also somewhat monotonous - too much of the same drab colors. The rooms were nicely done and spacious, very good quality furnishings, VERY comfortable beds, and very quiet. We took a stroll through the neighborhood looking for a nice place for dinner - there were lots of unique little restaurants in this up & coming arts district. We settled for BODA, a nice little Thai restaurant on Congress Street. Great food & service. Back to the Westin - the staff was very nice & accommodating. Overall, I'd rate it a "4" but it's a bit pricey.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Skeptical_Girl
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Westin Portland Harborview. The staff could not have been more accommodating. It was a crazy weekend with all the families coming for camp visiting days. The general manager was very visible and accessible. I highly recommend this hotel when staying in Portland.

1 Thank Jeffrey S
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

This clean, quiet hotel in downtown Portland is made special by the staff. I arrived on a sweltering afternoon when the valet was working hard to keep up. That didn't stop him from offering both me and my dog cold water before we even stepped foot in the lobby. The enthusiastic greeting continued at the reception desk, where the clerk made it clear that my dog was truly welcome at the hotel. The housekeeping staff delivered a doggie bed, water bowls, treats and information about local dog parks, etc. The room was clean, comfortable and reasonably spacious.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Oscardood
BWennerstrom, General Manager at The Westin Portland Harborview, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin Portland Harborview to pamper your pet! Here at Westin we love dogs! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and am looking forward to your return visit.

Be Well,