“Finally!”

Ranked #10 of 627 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Takeout
Description: Duckfat is a small sandwich shop that has it all: classic Belgian fries made with local Maine potatoes fried in duck fat, panini, soups, salads, charcuterie, sodas and milkshakes all made in house. Add a killer beer and wine list and you have Duckfat, a fun and unique dining destination in Portland, Maine.
Richmond, VA
“Finally!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have read about his place for a number of years and have never made my way there. This time, I made a point to visit, and even with the 1 hr wait, it was worth it. The sandwiches and fries were outstanding, and the donut holes with caramel dipping sauce were unique. Service was good, and staff was helpful and friendly. A must-try when in Portland.

Visited July 2014

Houston, Texas
“Crowded but Worth It”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Several people mentioned Duckfat to me, in a city rich with great restaurants (I read that Portland has more restaurants per capita than any city in the US). The place was jammed at lunch, with lots of people waiting on the sidewalk (they give you a beeper that alerts you when your table or counter spot is ready). I got the chilled English Pea soup (wonderful!) and the smoked pastrami panino. The guy next to me got the "sandwich board," which sounded more interesting than it looked. Another neighbor had the duck fat fries, which looked irresistable. Several people ordered poutine with egg, so I suspect that I would get that if I returned. BTW, I heard the Italian place next door is terrific, so if the wait at Duckfat is a turn-off, you might try that one out. Would I return? Only if I didn;t have to wait too long. Too many choices in Portland.

• Visited August 2014
Sharon, Vermont
“Excellent”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

As noted by other reviewers, the fries here steal the show but the rest of the lunch scene impresses as well. We had a "sandwich board" which consists of 3 sorts of meat, bread and condiments for DIY little sandwiches, as well as a BGT (bacon, goat cheese and tomato pannini). All great- even the house made sodas were great. Also, the restaurant itself is very pleasant- but smallish and quite popular on a nice day in July.

Toronto, Canada
“Cant wait to visit again”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We were travelling on our way to Boston when we stumbled upon this little place. Food is great, sandwich was tasty w porkbelly and the poutine... you did canada proud. We liked it so much, we stopped on the way back from Boston! Great place if you enjoy food, looking for a meal just a little bit different from the norm. Enjoy

gulfcoast florida
“long wait, good food”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Long wait for a Friday lunch. When seated, our group ordered poutine for the table. I had heard of it but never tasted poutine. It was enjoyable, as was the sandwich (and the soda) that I ordered. Of course, the fries were good. Having said all this, I'm not sure that it was good enough to tempt me to beat a path back to Duckfat when I return. I'm certain, though, that most people will not be disappointed./

• Visited July 2014

Been to Duckfat? Share your experiences!