“Loved it!”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

The owner of the B&B we were staying at told us about this restaurant. It's a great, cozy atmosphere. We sat at the bar and had a great experience all around. The food was out of this world. Best in portland, which is saying a lot!! We got the paella, the mussels, and the beat appetizer. So amazing!!! Every bite was incredible. An absolute must!!!!!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife took me to Caiola's in Portland, Maine for my birthday dinner this week. I picked this restaurant because they serve paella, one of my favorite dishes. The restaurant is small and cozy, some might say cramped. The staff had to do some juggling to seat a party of six next to us. The atmosphere was low key kind of homey with an unpretentious friendly staff.

The wine list is limited but sufficient. Many of the of the menu items are creatively off beat. The bread and butter plate was delicious. We ordered the fruit and cheese tray for an appetizer it was wonderful. My wife ordered the chicken marsala which she enjoyed very much. I ordered my favorite the paella. I have had paella in a nice Portuguese restaurant (Atasca) in Cambridge Mass and at La Paella in Beverly Hills, CA. I have to say Caiola's paella does not measure up. The shrimp were large and tasty the chorizo was almost nonexistent, the clams and mussels the mainstay of paella were very small. Desserts are limited on the menu but nice. I had maple pie with foie gras ice cream for dessert it was actually good. My wife had a chocolate coconut ice cream with coconut caramel sauce which she really liked.

While I was disappointed in the paella I would be willing to visit them again to try dishes other than paella.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Not only was the food here the best I've had since being in the States but the best food I've ever had in my life! Everything was so delicious and such amazing value. A truly memorable experience and meal!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great service. Liver bruschetta unique. Eggplant parm excellent Paella better than anyone ever
The place to go to avoid the hype of the waterfront at fair prices with nice people and terrific food
Truly a neighborhood restaurant you must try

Reviewed 8 April 2014

A genuine neighborhood classic, with consistently warm and welcoming staff; innovative and expertly prepared food (that surprises in comforting ways!); a kitchen under the remarkable direction of a gifted and innovative chef (we love Abby!), and that is owned and brought to life by the most generous, real, creative and wonderful people (we love Lisa, too!). This is where we come often ... for inspiration, conversation, food + drinks ... and for the incredible world that is Caiola's. The best.