“It's not just about the food.”
Review of Caiola's - CLOSED

Caiola's
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Cullowhee, North Carolina
“It's not just about the food.”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The food was delicious, but staff need education on cleanliness. I watched one worker (maybe a hostess) do multiple tasks such as run food, bus/clean tables, and deliver menus. Then, she wiped her hands on the back of her pants and fiddled with her hair before slicing bread for diners. Not once did she wash her hands or wear gloves and this happened repeatedly. I found it interesting that guests were able to walk unaccompanied through the kitchen to get to another dining area. Surely this isn't sanitary! I also waited over 10 minutes for the dessert menu and by the time I got it, I (along with two other tables) was frustrated and ready to leave. As mentioned before, however, the food was wonderful. I hate to leave a negative review, but it was hard not to notice the poor health practices.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank HarmoniaRM

Stuyvesant, New York
“Nice Breakfast”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I visit with my family for Easter Sunday Breakfast. There were 4 adults and 2 children (4 and 2).
We were there when they opened. A small crowd was waiting. Everyone was in and seated within minutes of the doors opening. Food is very good and portions are large. Service was very good.
Prices are reasonable. They take reservations and i would recommend them. The front area is nice. Tight but nice. They have a second dining room in the back, through the kitchen.
We have been there before and will go back again.

“Loved it!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

The owner of the B&B we were staying at told us about this restaurant. It's a great, cozy atmosphere. We sat at the bar and had a great experience all around. The food was out of this world. Best in portland, which is saying a lot!! We got the paella, the mussels, and the beat appetizer. So amazing!!! Every bite was incredible. An absolute must!!!!!

Waterville, Maine
“Good But Not Great”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife took me to Caiola's in Portland, Maine for my birthday dinner this week. I picked this restaurant because they serve paella, one of my favorite dishes. The restaurant is small and cozy, some might say cramped. The staff had to do some juggling to seat a party of six next to us. The atmosphere was low key kind of homey with an unpretentious friendly staff.

The wine list is limited but sufficient. Many of the of the menu items are creatively off beat. The bread and butter plate was delicious. We ordered the fruit and cheese tray for an appetizer it was wonderful. My wife ordered the chicken marsala which she enjoyed very much. I ordered my favorite the paella. I have had paella in a nice Portuguese restaurant (Atasca) in Cambridge Mass and at La Paella in Beverly Hills, CA. I have to say Caiola's paella does not measure up. The shrimp were large and tasty the chorizo was almost nonexistent, the clams and mussels the mainstay of paella were very small. Desserts are limited on the menu but nice. I had maple pie with foie gras ice cream for dessert it was actually good. My wife had a chocolate coconut ice cream with coconut caramel sauce which she really liked.

While I was disappointed in the paella I would be willing to visit them again to try dishes other than paella.

Geneva, Switzerland
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Not only was the food here the best I've had since being in the States but the best food I've ever had in my life! Everything was so delicious and such amazing value. A truly memorable experience and meal!