“Good Food, Tucked Away”

Add it.
51 Wharf
Ranked #440 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 9 August 2013

On our second evening in Portland we were looking for a restaurant with good seafood and was reasonably quiet. In walking around, we found this one tucked back in an alley. It was Monday, so they were not busy. We sat outdoors. Seems they are well known for their jumbo lobster, but we are not big lobster fans. I had seared scallops, my wife had cod. But, the appetizer was the best part- a crab cake. All the food was good, as to be expected.

Service was good, but we were not checked on often. The worst part was that we had a napkin with red lipstick on it- not a good way to start. The tables and silverware were a bit dirty- I know we are outdoors, but a little more effort to keep them clean would have been great.

Overall, I'd recommend this restaurant if you are a big lobster fan. Otherwise, on a short stay, there are many, many other similar options.

1  Thank wombatclov
There are newer reviews for 51 Wharf

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I am giving this restaurant an average review because of the bad service..We had a guy serve us who was the most unattentive waiter ever. He was so bad that the female waitress came over to check on us several times. She must have noticed how bad he was....lol It wasn't even a busy evening...a weeknight! The lobster roll was very good, served an unusual way. You can have it the usual way with mayo or sauteed in butter......it was devine. My husband had a pasta dish that he said was pretty good. But the waiter forgot his drink order, so I had my drink and he didn't have his....whoever owns this place should really pay attention to who is serving your customers or pretty soon you won't have any to serve....

2  Thank TheBigelows
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My wife and I stopped here for lunch after walking around thr old port area. We both got the jumbo lobstrr rolls and I got the lobster corn chowder. The chowder was decent but overly salted. The lobster rolls were sub par. Mine was the chilled and it was all claw meat and rubbery. My wife got the hot and it was also rubbery. The sides we ordered were poor as well. The coleslaw was awful and warm I didnt eat it since it tasted off. I was worried about getting sick if I ate it. The mash potatoes were better but again not worth the $4 price. The waitress was attentive and friendly however I asked her to break a $20 and she just brought me back my change and the $20. Maybe she misheard me and thought I over counted but it resulted in a smaller tip then I would normally have given. Overall I wouldn't go back.

1  Thank KPR4
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We were visiting Portland for the night and walking around seeing all the different restaurants and this one seemed to be tucked away on the cobblestone streets. We decided to give it a try and we were so glad that we did. The service was excellent, our waitress came right to our table and got our drink order. After she took our food order it didn't seem to take very long for our food to come out. My husband got the Lobster roll, which was amazing! He ate every bite of it. Our entire meal was great and the waitress was really friendly.

It was a really hot night in July so we opted to sit inside, but if it had been a little cooler we would have loved to sit outside in their patio section. If you are in the area and looking for a great place to get a bite to eat I would highly recommend this place. It was overall a wonderful stop!

Reviewed 7 June 2013

The one time I've eatin at 51 wharf the food was good, didn't blow my socks off but wasn't bad. The night life however is excellent, great atmosphere good crowed and friendly service! If your on the cobble stone I recommend checking 51 Wharf out!