“Great hotel in awesome location”

Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Loved this hotel--our room was spotless and the beds were comfy! Loved the huge glass shower. This is a great location for exploring the old port area of Portland. We ate at De Millo's and it was great--the hotel van took us and picked us up. Only down side--waiting for valet to get car during week day when they have to park it offsite so allow extra time for getting your car. Easy access to airport. Nice bar and snack bar in lobby..nice lobby for relaxing.

Room Tip: high floor off main street
2  Thank wiggygailTX
Aaron M, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2014

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel, we are very happy that you enjoyed it, you are absolutely right, the glass showers are great. Thank you for the feedback about the parking, you are right, and it is absolutely something that we are working on, and we will make sure that it doesn't happen the next time that you are here. Please come back to see us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Excellent location, walking distance to town and many restaurants. They are accommodating and able to give me the key before the check-in time. I must thank the young gentleman who was on night duty the day when I depart. He told me about the free shuttle service and took me to the airport. I wonder why it was not made known to me when I enquired about transport to the airport?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank SeLiNa141

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate all feedback both positive and not so positive, because it gives us a chance to learn from some of the opportunities that you may have had. I hope that you come back and try us again in the future.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We always stay at Marriotts when we can. On this trip to Portland we chose this downtown location on Commercial street. Loved the location. Close to restaurants and shopping and the Victoria Mansion which we had planned to visit.

The hotel is only open for 3 months. Lovely and staff most accommodating. We had one mishap with breakfast on the last day when the pepper shaker open from the top and poured the contents on my husband's breakfast. They quickly replaced the meal.

The rooms are new and modern. I loved that there are outlets everywhere!! 2 on each night stand, built right into the top of the stand. And many more over the desk. No problem keeping iphones, ipads, kindles, etc charged up!

Room Tip: higher rooms facing Commercial Street have views of the harbor...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sryhanen

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel, I am so sorry that your delicious breakfast was initially ruined by pepper. We too, are very happy with the design on the new rooms for the Courtyards, all of the plugs are very convenient, and make it very easy to stay charged. I hope you come back and stay with us soon!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is a brand new hotel, opened in Spring/summer of 2014. It's located right at the waterfront, though at the south-southwest end of the waterfront strip. I have to give credit to Marriott for changing the boring, old, cookie-cutter lobby design and coming up with a modern contemporary style with some personal/local touches. Rooms are fairly spacious with mid-century modern decor. Bathroom was very spacious with double vanity sink (King bed room). I wouldn't mind staying there again if they can improve the service a little bit:

The staff was genuinely nice and friendly, but the service was slow and error prone. There were two high-school kids who were running the valet service AND they are responsible for running the free shuttle. Both the kids were completely overwhelmed by the volume of cars/requests. Plus one of the guests car got a big dent on the side door, so chaos was magnified ten times.

During the morning hours often there was no answer at the front desk or bedcab station. We would finally have to go downstairs and track someone down.

During check-out the lady charged us twice for the parking/valet. And it took her a while to figure-out what had happened.

Finally, the curtains on the windows do a very poor job of blocking sun-light in the morning. It might be a non-issue for many people, but for light sleepers who like to sleep in it might be a big enough issue.

Room Tip: Harbor front facing rooms get a lot of light very early in the morning during summer months. The vie...
2  Thank B0st0nTraveler100

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am really sorry that the service was not up to your standards while you were here. We definitely have some opportunities, and we are consistently working hard to correct those and get better everyday. Hopefully the next time that you come your stay will be far better than it was from a service standpoint. We are looking forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Wow! From the moment you step into to the lobby you feel like you are a VIP! It's a beautiful space and so wide open. Everyone from the valet to the front desk to the bartender were super friendly! The room itself was perfect-the bed was comfortable and they use Paul Mitchell hair products, my favorite!!! The only thing I would not recommend is is the wings from the bar-very fatty and just not good. Otherwise this was the perfect hotel for my first visit to Maine!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

I am very excited that you had a great stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, it means a lot to us to know the positives and negatives of your stay, it helps us improve. I am very happy that your hotel and room experience were great and my team took great care of you, the next time that you come we will make sure that the food is up to the level of service that we want to provide. Please come back and give us a try in the future!! Thank you again!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Very nicely furnished room. Could not hear any of the traffic or outside noise. Walking distance from loads of restaurants, but using a local map is helpful. A smoke free hotel like this one, even better.

Room Tip: Getting a room with 2 queen beds us the way to go for families.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I truly appreciate the feedback, I am very that you liked the rooms and were able to get out and see some of the restaurants that Portland, ME has to offer. I hope that you get a chance to come back to Portland and stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not far away from the water or the center of activity unless a block or two distance is too far. I walked everywhere. It is a very short walk to everything and I like the fact that it was quieter.
I found the hotel to be very nice and modern for a courtyard nicer than the average one with updated decor. The bathroom are nice with huge showers. Walls are a little thin as well as noisy air conditioning. The front desk staff needs to have better people skills too and I didn't like 18 dollars to park offsite. The spaces right across from the hotel are free so wait until the crowds leave and get one of those.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank aweiss00
Aaron M, General Manager at Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes, you are correct, the spaces on the opposite side of the street are free, but there are few of them and they have very specific hours that you are not allowed to park there. Thank you for the feedback about our team, we are constantly improving and correcting opportunities, so positive and negative feedback is always welcome. Thank you again and we look forward to hosting you in the future.