“Clean & pet friendly.”
Review of Inn at St. John

Inn at St. John
Ranked #7 of 11 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

We had a mid-level room pricewise (there are three choices up to luxury) on the top floor. There were a lot of stairs, which we expected, & it's an older building but things are cleaned & fairly well maintained. Could use some updating, but the staff is friendly & the room was clean. We traveled with our small dog & felt comfortable having her on the floor without being concerned about her well being due to cleanliness. Not the safest area in Portland, but there are worse places & it is a city after all. Overall, I would say we had a very positive experience!

• Stayed: August 2013
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Jessica B - Thank you for taking the time to give us positive feedback about our Inn. We spend a substantial amount of time updating this 116 year old building, put a huge emphasis on our guest services, do a lot of detail cleaning so that every guest has a relaxing and enjoyable experience. Thank you again for staying with us and hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed 4 August 2013

The hotel is in a seed part of town which wasn't close to anything (walking). the worst of all was I woke up with bed bug bites. After I told the management they said they checked the room, but the next night we found tell-tale blood marks. I would never go back and would advise others to do the same.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank Leigh1232013
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Leigh1232013 – On behalf of the Inn at St John I would extend our apologies for your uncomfortable experience with us. Trained professionals thoroughly checked your room twice and found no infestation.

We take great pride in our high cleanliness and guest services standards and work hard every day to make the Inn the best it can be.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Not the best part of town, but once you're inside, it's wonderful. The décor is nicely done, the fountain at the front greets you as well as the host behind the counter. Unfortunately, it's run more like hotel than an Inn, as the personnel are just paid employees versus someone who has a stake in the business. The Inn is located close to City Center as well as the Old Port.

Room Tip: Parking can sometimes be an issue, but they do have an agreement with the Chinese restaurant next do...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Bubbagags - Thank you for your positive feedback and we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff here at the Inn work hard to make every guest stay the best it can be and we hope to see you again sometime in the future!

Reviewed 20 July 2013

If you are staying in Portland outside the busy summer months, the Inn at St. John will provide you with some great deals! It get's very pricy for what is offers during the summer. The hotel is very clean, super friendly staff (even though more of them could keep a bit more eye contact when talking to you, a bit of a walk into Portland, but manageable. If it was not for their very high prices in the summer I would have given 5 stars, but hey, if the demand is there, they have to take advantage of it!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Quickhatch - Thank you for your feedback and we are so happy you loved our Inn. We work hard to keep our rates competitive in the market so our guests have have a comfortable relaxing stay at a reasonable rate and hope you choose the Inn at St John for your next stay in Portland Maine.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

We decided to "do Maine," and started on the coast. This was our "home base" for a few days as we explored Old Portland and nearby areas. Nice, clean room. We had to share a bathroom, but it was clean and kept up. The staff was friendly and helpful about pointing out areas of interest. A great visit in a sweet Victorian style hotel that we learned was once named "The Victorian." Surprise!

Room Tip: The hotel has no elevator, so choose a room on a lower floor. And, if you don't want street noi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Rita T - We are so glad you enjoyed your stay in Portland and here at the Inn. We strive to keep our Victorian Inn clean and comfortable for our all our guests. I am pleased the staff was able to help you with points of interest in the city. We hope you choose the Inn at St John for your next stay in Portland Maine.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

This is a very charming, old fashioned Victorian looking hotel, a bit quirky but one I found just delightful. I was looking for a comfortable place in Portland where I could meet friends, at a central location, who were driving and then we were going off on a sightseeing trip of New England. I found the Inn quite by accident and decided to book even though it was not in the downtown area but close to it. Although I booked this on the Inn's website I did have some questions and when I called the Inn directly they could not have been more helpful. In fact since I was flying in but did not have a car they advised me that they reimburse part of the taxi fare from the airport to the Inn when given a receipt by the cab driver.

When I arrived at the hotel I got a warm welcome and was told since I was in a single room that it was very small but cosy. it was up 1 flight of stairs, there is not an elevator at the Inn, I was asked if I needed help up the stairs with my bags but since I was traveling with not much luggage it wasn't a problem. When I made the booking from their website I saw that they had shared baths, which I didn't want and also a hall bath and then a room with a private bath. I wasn't quite sure what the "hall bath" meant but it is exactly that. A private bath almost adjacent to my room which had its own key so I was the only one using it. In the room a comfy terry cloth robe is provided for use in case you use the bath prior to bedtime. The bed was comfortable and since it was chilly I turned on the heat which is in the window unit which also has a/c.

I did walk towards town which is not far but decided to take one of the buses that was running along Congress St. The bus driver was extremely helpful and gave me directions on how to get to the harbor after I got off where I went for dinner. After dinner I walked around town and window shopped for a bit before heading back to the Inn. While walking back a bus did come along which I decided to take and that dropped me off just across the street from the Inn.

After a good night's sleep I went downstairs to the breakfast room just off the lobby where in the morning a continental breakfast is available. Fresh fruit, juice, cereals, assorted breads, bagels and muffins for toasting and coffee/tea are all available and all very fresh. When I was there most folks opted to take the breakfast back to their rooms but there are tables and high stools if you wish to eat there.

There was ample parking behind the hotel and that was where my friends had parked the rental car overnight so it was very easy to load up and take off.

I found this a very comfortable, charming and delightful hotel. Just right for setting the mood for a splendid vacation which is what it turned out to be.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I ever get back to Portland.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank judytraveller

judytraveller - Thank you for taking the time to write an outstanding review of us. It means a great deal that you had a wonderful stay glad you enjoyed the city. We also thank you for making us you "go-to" place if you return to Maine.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed here for one night and walked to the Old Port from the hotel early in the evening and took a cab home (under $10). There is limited off-street parking. The rooms and shared bathrooms were clean. There was also a sink in the room. The continental breakfast was sufficient and tea, coffee, cookies, and cold beverages were available throughout the day. We look forward to staying here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BotanyGirl

BotanyGirl - Thank you for choosing the Inn at St John for your stay in Portland and thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review of us. We are glad you enjoyed the continental breakfast and delighted you would stay with us again in the future.