“Unique setup, but enjoyable”
Review of Inn at St. John

Inn at St. John
Ranked #6 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Unique setup, but enjoyable”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The layout of this hotel is different, very choppy with a lot of steep stairs (no elevator). Breakfast area was so tiny and there was no place to sit for breakfast. The low price made it easy to overlook its shortcomings. I would stay here again, but I'd also look into something a bit closer to downtown.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jetkaiser
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
jetkaiser- Thank you for choosing the Inn at St John for your stay in Portland Maine. Among other things, the quirkiness of this 117 year old Victorian Inn is what folks love, and why they choose us over other cookie cutter hotels in the area. We hope you choose us again for your next stay in the Portland area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
Fort Mill, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The hotel is so very quaint. We arrived early and the staff quickly got our room ready for us. I believe it's described as a bed and breakfast, but the breakfast is continental..mostly carbs..but good. i thought the front desk staff were a bit stuffy but the other staff were delightful. The room was HUGE and beautiful.
The bathroom immenities were much more than most hotels...my husband loved the terry cloth robes...so much he wants me to buy one for him. There was a nice safe in the room so we didn't have to worry about our valuables.
There was plenty of parking.
Although we did not bring our dog...i did overhear the front desk staff encouraging a guest that all pets are welcomed. (THAT is very unusual.)
I guess the only complaint is the hotel is a bit far from the Old Port District...about a mile or so. It's an easy walk...you just have to dodge the panhandlers who are ALL OVER THE PLACE in Portland. Everyone has either starving children at home or have just run out of gas and need a quarter for the bus. But that has nothing to do with the hotel.
I

Room Tip: Room 108..Lovely.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mary Scott- Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. We are delighted you enjoyed our robes and were able to secure your valuables in the safe we provide. Unlike other small Inn's in the area we are, and love being pet friendly. Thanks again and hope to see you in the future.
West Brookfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My room was cozy and very clean. The entire staff were extremely friendly, helpful and courteous. The price for my room was a great bargain. The food at breakfast was fresh. The atmosphere was quiet and friendly.Overall, this Inn was and is a great find! When I am in the area again, this will be my place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ariel L
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Ariel L- Thank you for writing a wonderful review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and delighted you will choose us again on your return visit to Portland.
Hartford, Vermont
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We recently stayed there two nights with two toddlers. All went well. The rooms were clean. We got a good recommendation for a local restaurant. Staff was friendly to the kids. Atmosphere was pleasant. We would happily stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Kevin C- Thank you for choosing the Inn at St John for your stay in Portland Maine. Our staff takes tremendous pride in providing great service and recomending their favorite restaurants. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed with a friend on our way up the Maine coast. The building was old but it was very well maintained and had a charming feel. Very well decorated... Affordable as well. Free breakfast in the morning was great. Like staying at grandmas house!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Julie K
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
JulieK1- Great to have you! Glad you felt we were "cozy and charming". And if you were as comfortable with us as you are with your grandmother that's a compliment I will take any day. Have a great day!
Madawaska, Maine
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Most important to me is cleanliness. I found the room and the bathroom to be clean.
The rate is really reasonable. No other hotel will give you this value.
The food offered in the continental breakfast was fresh. So many times at lower rate
hotels there is mold or out of date products, this is not the case at Inn at St John.
Staff is friendly.
I love the history of the building. The beautiful exterior and the lovely lobby.
I booked the cheapest room with a private bathroom. It was a slow day for the inn and they upgraded me a level. Which I appreciate.
There are many channels on the TV.
There is an effort by the inn to have some furnishings in the room to be of the period when the
inn was constructed. They had a mission oak dresser in my room. I love this effort and would be pleased but I dislike mission oak furniture especially when there are water stains on the piece. I neglected to mention the water stains to the manager.
Overall a great value. I will always stay at the Inn at St John when staying overnight at a hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul_Dumond
Paul_Dumond- Thank you so much for the kind words. We absolutely agree cleanliness is the most important thing! The room could be made of solid gold but if its dirty then forget it. Thank you for letting us know about the water stains i'll see if our maintenance man can do something about that. So glad to hear you will be a repeat guest. See you soon!
Bar Harbor, Maine
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I love this Inn and have stayed here many times, enjoying rooms from a king suite to my latest stay at a small double bed room with a bathroom down the hall. The prices can't be beat and the charm of the place has it all over the cookie cutter hotels. I can walk to the old port and many fine restaurants from here. The place is clean, comfortable, homey, the service is great, what more do you want? The continental breakfast is okay but I do wish they had a gluten free option for my wife. Personally though I like a big breakfast and I would recommend Bentliffs, just a short and easy drive from here. Fantastic. Check them out.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greg D
Woodswalker70- Every hotel manager strives to be his guests "go to place" . The fact that the Inn has succeeded in being yours is truly gratifying. Thank you for taking the time to review us it really does mean a lot. Oh and one more thing. We do have some gluten free breakfast items. Because of limited space though we must keep them in the kitchen, but we encourage guests to ask for them. There is a small sign on the breakfast counter to inform people. See you again soon!