“Oh Yes to Ohno! Cafe' for a fantastic breakfast sandwich”
Review of Ohno Cafe

Ohno Cafe
Ranked #197 of 621 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Portland, Maine
“Oh Yes to Ohno! Cafe' for a fantastic breakfast sandwich”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Check this joint off the "places I want to go" list and move to "places I love to go" list. Yowsa, Ohno! Cafe' was exactly as I had hoped for. Packed up with patient patrons, we waited only a moment to have our order taken.

While getting my tea I had a view of the sandwich makers. During this, and the entire time we were there, they were entirely focused on producing their signature sandwiches on either bagels, English muffins, or Bialy. No time for joviality, NO distractions, and fluid fulfillment of the food orders as well as the coffee/tea station. To be admired.

As we waited for our order I had a chance to peruse the beer and wine selection. Being in the industry leaves me with an advantage/disadvantage in evaluating the quality of a store/restaurant's beer/wine list. There are myriad choices, it's very difficult to cull down roughly 10,000 wine labels to match space, price range, and taste of clientele. Ohno apparently has a great buyer or team. Though there were no American wines, there were several ciders made locally and UFF Kombucha. The beers, plentiful enough for the space available, were effectively chosen for origin, quality, and price. If I were in the West End, they were open, and I was in need, I'm positive I could pop in here and leave with an appropriate selection for any event.

We took our food a few blocks away to the park overlooking the bridge on York Street and enjoyed them sitting on a park bench in the glorious sunshine while folks walked their dogs throughout the park.

A thoroughly enjoyable experience I would recommend highly.

• Visited May 2014

Portland, Maine
“Great neighborhood cafe”
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

This is a small but very good chef owned restaurant started by a native Portlander who trained as a chef away from Maine, and when he wanted to start a place of his own, came back to his hometown to do so. The sandwiches here are fairly basic; turkey, avocado, tomato & egg on an english muffin is one example. Simple but inexpensive & tasty! They also serve Coffee By Design coffee, chips, beer, wine, sodas & juices.

Saratoga Springs, New York
“So amazing we went there twice!”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Was in Portland for 2 days and decided to try this place based on reviews. We figured it would be very busy but the day we went in, we had the place to ourselves. It's a small place in a nice residential neighborhood. Inside is nothing fancy but has a welcoming feel and the staff is friendly as well. The menu has a choice of a couple different breakfast sandwiches which we went with the #1 and #6, though you can also create your own. Took 5 minutes or so for them to be ready Wow, out of this world! Great flavor and seasoning. We were so impressed we went back the next morning instead of having breakfast at our hotel and created our own breakfast sandwich to take for the road. Next time we are back in Portland we will be coming back for more.

• Visited September 2013
Venice, Florida
“Tastee sandwich”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

After a poor breakfast at B& this was a great find. Good breakfast sandwiches.Locals must love it as we were definitely an outsider. If you are in the area stop in for a breakfast treat!

Visited September 2013
Austin, TX
“Excellent sandwiches”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I got the shrimp BLT and it was excellent - good bread, nicely seasoned shrimp, very filling. I cut it up and ate it more like a salad because there was so much it was a little awkward as a sandwich. My husband had a steak wrap (flank?) that he really enjoyed. As we were leaving I told both the chef/cook and the cashier how much we enjoyed the food.

It's a small place and we ate inside though there are a couple tables outside. Nothing fancy, but music was good and food was delicious. Ohno sells a multitude of bottled ales but if you buy it, you can't drink it there.

Visited August 2013