“Great breakfast sandwiches!”

Ohno Cafe
Ranked #208 of 605 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I ordered the number 2, turkey, avocado, Gouda, egg on a bagel. A little salty but very good. I could easily have eaten three. Nice find.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Chef owned, simple fare, exquisitely prepared. Tasty bites while eating elbow to elbow with neighborhood locals. A must go to spot for lunch.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

This is a great little sandwich and coffee shop. It looks completely different on the inside and has great breakfast sandwiches!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Check this joint off the "places I want to go" list and move to "places I love to go" list. Yowsa, Ohno! Cafe' was exactly as I had hoped for. Packed up with patient patrons, we waited only a moment to have our order taken.

While getting my tea I had a view of the sandwich makers. During this, and the entire time we were there, they were entirely focused on producing their signature sandwiches on either bagels, English muffins, or Bialy. No time for joviality, NO distractions, and fluid fulfillment of the food orders as well as the coffee/tea station. To be admired.

As we waited for our order I had a chance to peruse the beer and wine selection. Being in the industry leaves me with an advantage/disadvantage in evaluating the quality of a store/restaurant's beer/wine list. There are myriad choices, it's very difficult to cull down roughly 10,000 wine labels to match space, price range, and taste of clientele. Ohno apparently has a great buyer or team. Though there were no American wines, there were several ciders made locally and UFF Kombucha. The beers, plentiful enough for the space available, were effectively chosen for origin, quality, and price. If I were in the West End, they were open, and I was in need, I'm positive I could pop in here and leave with an appropriate selection for any event.

We took our food a few blocks away to the park overlooking the bridge on York Street and enjoyed them sitting on a park bench in the glorious sunshine while folks walked their dogs throughout the park.

A thoroughly enjoyable experience I would recommend highly.

Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

This is a small but very good chef owned restaurant started by a native Portlander who trained as a chef away from Maine, and when he wanted to start a place of his own, came back to his hometown to do so. The sandwiches here are fairly basic; turkey, avocado, tomato & egg on an english muffin is one example. Simple but inexpensive & tasty! They also serve Coffee By Design coffee, chips, beer, wine, sodas & juices.