“The worst uppity American fastish food...”

Amato's Sandwich Shops
Ranked #192 of 638 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Pizza, Soups
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

More tasteless than Subway, with a price that makes you think you're gonna eat a nice meal. Weird taste. Not served at correct temperatures. Undercooked.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Nice staff, great pizza. (I ordered the ham and pineapple pizza). I walked from my hotel and picked up my own pizza. I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

In the early 1900's, Mr. Amato began making and selling what he called Italian sandwiches - in honor of the many Italian immigrants that patronized his original shop on India Street in Portland. Lunch meats, cheese, sour pickles, fresh tomatoes, onions and peppers packed into a fresh roll, topped with Amato's special oil. It was a hugely popular concoction. By the time I was a teenager (many, many years ago), Italian sandwiches were made in just about every mom and pop corner store in southern Maine. They still are!

Amato's is the original and for me, it is still the best. My family agrees. Although they didn't have the luxury of growing up with Amato's, they became fans the instant they took their first bites. When we come back to visit, Amato's Italians are always on the menu for the first night. We've had Italians from the original shop - and several of the other locations. They are all equally good!

In Maine for vacation, business, family or pleasure? Be a Mainiac; have an Italian from Amato's!

4  Thank TrueBob
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was born and raised in Maine. I've been gone for a long time, but whenever I go back, it's the first thing I eat. It's all about the bread. Like nowhere else on earth. Try one and you will be hooked too.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

The original Italian is such a simple sandwich, not sure why it took me 35 years to experience it? I don't live in Maine but get an "original" every time I come back in the state.