“Excellent Thai Food, Very Pleasant Dining: a winner!”
Review of Saeng Thai House

Saeng Thai House
Ranked #95 of 617 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: We sold our other restaurant and now only have one Saeng Thai House on 921 Congress St! Please come visit us and the same old crew!
Portland, Maine
“Excellent Thai Food, Very Pleasant Dining: a winner!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Having read the reviews, we had to try Saeng Thai House. I am an aficionado of Pad Thai and make it myself with a recipe from the woman who supposedly brought it to this country. I thought the one here was excellent, but having said that, I do prefer the recipe I use and I agree that this one could use a wedge or two of fresh lime. The tempura vegetables I had as a starter were excellent, interesting, and filling. My husband had the pork dumplings as a starter, which he really enjoyed. I tasted one and thought it had a smoky undertone, kind of like bacon. He always goes for massaman curry like I go for Pad Thai and he was very happy with the curry here.

The people were very friendly and attentive and there is obviously a devoted clientele. Since the restaurant is BYOB, the dinner was also a great value. We will definitely be returning to try other things on the menu.

• Visited May 2014

Halifax, NS
“Enjoyable meal”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a small little Thai restaurant with fast service, no frills and very good food. Prices are average. I would recommend and would go again when in the area.

Visited May 2014
brunswick, ME
“unexpected yummy detour!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We headed to Portland to redeem a coupon deal, but the restaurant wasn't open yet. Our options were to wait, which wasn't really an option, because we were hungry, or to go to the nearest place. Saeng Thai SMELLED so good from the street, and my feet really hurt, so they won our business. The restaurant is pretty rustic looking, but lovely and clean. Our server, Kae was young, and seemingly shy, but had a great sense of humor. We ordered a starter of veggie spring rolls, and she said quietly, "You want four stars?" and smiled. She totally won me over. I tried their volcano noodle soup special and was very pleased. She suggested I don't order more heat, but that she would bring some hot sauce. My husband had a curry dish, which he really enjoyed. We will definitely go back, and you should go, too!

• Visited April 2014
Woodstock, Canada
“GREAT THAI FOOD”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

The only reason I haven't given Saeng Thai House five stars is because its so tiny that its difficult to get a large family party a table. That said, when you are eventually seated, you're treated to the best Thai food, served by friendly staff. Top tip, on a cold evening, get a table that's not in line with the door; due to the popularity of this tiny restaurant the door might as well be a revolving one, and quite a few I thoughtful customers don't think to shut it properly, leaving the nearest person to the door having to constantly get up and shut it! This doesn't detract from the food, however, which is simply outstanding.

Visited April 2014
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Portland's Best Thai”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

There's a reason it's ranked #13 in the city on tripadvisor, don't listen to 100 other opinions about this and that place having the best Pad Thai, get it right the first time with the real thing. Only downside, you're disappointed everywhere else you go for thai in (and even out of) town, be it as a result of price, serving size, taste, culture, language, people from Thailand - something won't live up to Saeng's.

Small on seating and big on takeout, depending on the time you end up eating lunch or dinner it may be a good idea getting something to go and heading to the Western Prom. From there you can watch the flights arrive from Canada that justify the area airport's designation as an "international" one. I think you can get to Iceland direct too.

Even the simple vegetable fried rice has a rich flavor, the fresh spring rolls and peanut sauce dip are a great app, and the fried ice cream is an undiscovered scandal! After the hoopla, don't forget to cleanse the palate with the unique, tangy little Thai mint that comes with the tab!

• Visited February 2014