“Surprising good Italian fare”
Review of Vignola

Vignola
Reserve with OpenTable
Vignola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #139 of 636 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Commercial Street
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Enjoyed a delicious dinner here and was happy to find such refined Italian food. Our waitress (Paige, I think) was excellent as was the atmosphere. Was a little disappointed that they were out of gnocci, but the Braciole and the fish soup were good size portions and well prepared. It's on the expensive side.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Overpriced below mediocre food! Never again- had the grilled veal which was so thin, tough and bland-one of the most expensive dish on the menu. It was also served cold. The. Portions are so small that I was still hungry after having the meal. We had a reservation @5:30 and there were only 2 other couples having a meal. We asked for a table by the window which were unoccupied and we're told they were reserved. We left @ 7pm and no one else came other than another couple who got seated in the back.,

1  Thank Marisa C
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Portland has a very large number of dinner options and restaurants. Vignola was one that was recommended to us, so we selected this location for a 8:30 on Saturday. The online reservation was simple via Open Table and the hostess that night was very pleasant and accommodating. Off to a good start. The lighting inside was poor and it was lacking on the decor side of things.

Our waitress was efficient and demonstrated adequate service mechanics, but not overly friendly or helpful with us navigating/understanding the menu and their specialties. The wine list was very extensive and the cheese selections was larger than you see at most restaurants. We ended up ordering two appetizers. 1 small plate and a pork belly appetizer special. The small plate was a vegetarian tempura-like broccoli with an Aioli. Very tasty, perfectly cooked and a good value at $6. The pork belly was not as appealing. There was twice as much fat to the actual pork (something that should have been noticeable to the person preparing. The sauce accompanying was average, but the polenta was incredible. At this stage, we did not give up hope as we had some positives. Mid-course we noticed that many people opted for cheese tray, so I asked the waitress about possibly adding a small plate. Unfortunately, she convinced us that we had ordered plenty of food and discouraged us. We ordered entrees. I had the Beef Roulade per the recommendation of the waitress. $26+ - This had to be the toughest and least appealing dish that I've had in years, no matter the price. It should have been clear that I was not happy, seeing that I barely touched it. It came with julienne potatoes and layered with some sort of salami. My wife was torn between the Scallops or the Ravioli as her choice. After a little discussion, the waitress guided her to try a special that was featured. Unfortunately, this was not a good choice. It was another pork dish, but in a gelatin form ($24+). One of the most unusual things that I've seen plated. If placed in front of me, I would not be able to recognize what it was. Along with the odd texture and lack of flavor, it was accompanied with cold asparagus and an odd potato layer.

As you can tell, this wasn't the dining experience we were hoping for, especially for spending over $100. The menu seemed over-thought, unnecessarily complex and purposely not familiar. This seemed odd for a location where there could be many tourists from all over. If it were different and good, that could have changed things. We later found out from friends that they had good experiences here, but they stuck with cheese plates and wine. Lesson learned. I would not recommend this place to others for either.

1  Thank BDorr
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The title is what I told my wife and we sat here reviewing the menu.

We walked in at 5 to a near empty restaurant and tried to make a reservation for 7. We were told the best we could get is 830. When we returned at 8 there were any number of empty seats that we could have taken. The hostess at first seemed like she didn't know what she was going to do with us and then seemingly reluctantly admitted that she could seat us instantly.

The menu is almost impossible to use and understand. Parts are in Italian and is is very oddly organized and structured. I much prefer the American standard of organizing the menu by food types.

I'm not sure what this restaurant is trying to be or who they are targeting for customers - but they missed with me.

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We had Mothers Day Brunch here. The food was just okay. The service was horrible. The waitress lacked any warmth or friendliness. She was not overly attentive. My mother had ordered the lemon tart for dessert. The waitress became rather rude and insisted she ordered the chocolate tart. She then said "well someone here messed up there dessert order." She wanted my mother to take the chocolate tart as we were going to be charged for it anyway. My daughter also ordered deviled eggs and never received them...but we were charged for them. We didn't even bother to bring it up as we knew it would be another rude, awkward exchange with the waitress. Sadly there are so many other great restaurants in Portland with great service and food. I could have overlooked the okay food if the service was better. Not very wise seeing we were a party of 9 paying 25 dollars for brunch on top of drinks. Strange way to treat customers who are paying over 300 dollars on brunch....

1  Thank allie976