“Nice Room, but Customer Service Training is Needed”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 November 2012

My husband and I selected this hotel for our guests to stay in for our wedding. At first, customer service was very prompt. I had many questions regarding the contract and they were all answered very quickly. The price was great as well.

As the deadline for my guests to book their rooms came around, customer service began to fall apart. Emails were ignored, phone calls were not returned for days and guests were being charged more than double the agreed upon rate. When I went to reference the conversations that I had via email prior to signing the contract, agreements suddenly were "discretionary."

In the end, the majority of guests did get their rates adjusted. The rooms were very nice, service and the desk was great and so was the complementary breakfast the next morning. We, as the bride and groom, were also given a bottle of champagne on our second night - which was a nice touch.

All in all, I would stay at the hotel again; however, I would caution other brides to read that contract thoroughly and make sure you get absolutely every question you have answered in writing.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Dear 172SarahG,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with our hotel. I would like to apologize for the poor service you received from our sales team regarding your wedding block. This is certainly not typical and we have made some adjustments to our team to be sure we don't have any miscommunications in the future. We want brides and grooms to be focused on their wedding day!
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and am glad you enjoyed the champagne on your second night. I hope we will have you as our guests again soon!

All the best,

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We had an amazing two-night stay at this hotel. We got very good early-booking rates online. Every room is a suite with lots of space and amenities. The towels and bedding are very nice and the rooms are nicely decorated. Some in our group enjoyed the pool and hot tub as well. We were especially impressed to receive many 'complimentary' treats. Every evening there is a manager's reception including snacks and drinks - for free! We ordered a meal in the restaurant and enjoyed a glass of wine. The next evening we took snacks to our room. The breakfast too was a complimentary buffet with all kinds of hot items, even delicious made-to-order omelets. We found the staff to all be very accommodating, going out of their way to be helpful. The airport location would be convenient for travelers, but we were there to shop, and we were surprised how close we were to the shopping areas. We will definitely make this our first choice of places to stay in Portland.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Mammadi,

Thank you for your wonderful review from your recent stay with us. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your 2 day stay with us and were able to use so many of our wonderful included amenities. Thank you for making us your first choice in hotels in Portland and we look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Be careful! We had a two night reservation and ended up arriving only for the second night because we were in the emergency room in Burlington, MA the night before. I called the front desk to make sure they knew we were not arriving for the first night and spoke to a very nice woman who assured me it was ok. When we arrived Sunday, the manager was at the front desk and looked up our reservation. She said we were listed as "no shows" and that the room had been given away. It was a fully pre-paid reservation ($400.00). They had already given the room away! She did not offer any apologies. Just stared at us blankly. I asked if we would at least receive a refund and she said she could not help us with that. So we paid for two nights and did not stay either.

I cannot report on the hotel or it's conditions, but I can say that we were treated poorly and will never be returning to this Embassy Suites or any other.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank amanda w
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Dear Amanda W,

I just received notice of your review on Trip Advisor and wanted to reach out to you. I can certainly understand your frustrations and would like an opportunity to address your remarks. In general, individual hotels do not hot have much flexibility with pre paid reservations as you receive a lower nightly rate in exchange for not having the ability to alter or cancel your reservation. We do the best we can in these circumstances to stay within the guidelines of your reservation restrictions but still satisfy our guests.
In the circumstances you describe in your review I would certainly have looked into options that would meet your needs had you contacted me directly. I apologize that one of my management staff did not address your concerns or find a solution while you were here.

Please contact me directly at 207-482-4360 or Stacy.OReilly@hilton.com to discuss your individual reservation to find a solution . I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Rooms needed updating and it would have been nice if they switched the reception snacks up rather then having the exact same thing every single evening as their are people who stay more then one night.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Thomas A,

Thank you for staying with us in Portland. I appreciate your feedback as we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel. Our guest suite appearance and manager’s reception are areas we are actively examining. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share and hope to have you back should you travel to the area in the future.

All the Best,

Reviewed 30 October 2012

Not you typical Embassy Suites. This property does not have the usual atrium so the rooms are nice and quiet. The location is walkable from the Portland Jetport but they do have pick up service. Nice 2 hour cocktail hour on the house every night for 2 hours and a very good breakfast inclucing made to order omlets. Only 2 miles from the old harbor area in downtown Portland. Overall a good pick.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Dear PanMan58,

Thanks for your wonderful review of our hotel. I appreciate your kind words about how quiet the rooms are and am glad to hear that you enjoyed the included reception and breakfast!

We appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you when you next return to the Portland area.

All the best,

Stacy OReilly

Reviewed 27 October 2012

As we checked in, a live band was playing in the atrium and there were complimentary drinks and snacks being served. This is no ordinary “motel”! I totally agree with all the positive things other reviews have pointed out. They are aimed at the business traveler but the room size, amenities, comfort and “extras” are a joy no matter what your reason for traveling is. For the general Portland area they are priced very reasonably and the “dog friendly” policy is very much appreciated.

Room Tip: Our room faced the airport and we didn't hear a sound inside the room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Dear PhotoTheatre,

Thank you for your wonderful review from your recent stay with us! The Tony Boffa band plays at the hotel every Monday night and our included snacks and beverages happen every night from 5:30-7:30 PM. It is a fantastic way to start your stay and I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

We'll look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Portland.

Stacy OReilly

Reviewed 20 October 2012

My first stay at the Embassy Suites was excellent. The rooms are excellent size with all the amenities one could ask for. The manager's reception was very nice after a long day of business and I didn't have to go out to eat after working all day. The plate of fruit, cheese and crackers and veggies with dip were perfect. And while I am talking about food, the breakfast was the best complimentary breakfast I have had at any hotel.

Stacy, general manager, was very accommodating with questions I had.

The hotel is new. It is close to the airport. The employees are attentive. I used the fitness area and it was also clean, good equipment and a good temperature.

I will be staying here again and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Dear NEFrequentTraveler,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your first stay with us and we look forward to many more. I also appreciate your kind words about me, the included amenities and the staff.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything we can do for you on your next stay with us.