“Home away from home!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 March 2013

The ENTIRE staff at the Embassy Suites in Portland, ME, deserves to be recognized here! Where to begin?! For the past two months, my mother and I have called this hotel 'home base' as we work on a personal project that requires us to go back and forth between Boston and Portland. The list is very long, but I would like to acknowledge Rosemarie, Allison, Santina, and the entire front desk staff for their incredible patience with our multiple questions at all hours of the day (and night)! Stacy and Kimberly are always in the lobby speaking with guests and making everyone feel right at home. Melissa, Charlene, Margitte and Andrew in the dining room are always smiling, amazing at what they do and so helpful every morning during the breakfast, which is included. Claudia is very friendly when she is cleaning in the lobby and taking time out to drive the Embassy Suites shuttle van. (Many people on the staff drive the van when needed, and they are always so cheerful, helpful and friendly.)

During the complimentary Manager's Reception, the entire staff who work the bar and the floor are patient and very friendly. I would like to say a special thank you to Kathy who is a great conversationalist and always goes the extra mile to make guests feel welcome and relaxed. She is also very efficient at clearing the tables while working in a friendly comment or a laugh or two! The snacks and wine are excellent, and I'm looking forward to dining at the in-house Café Stroudwater.

As a special bonus, on Monday nights-- there is live entertainment (free!) that begins during the Manager's Reception and continues on afterwards. The female vocalist (Susie Pepper-- former Miss Maine!, who has always been there during our stays) has an absolutely incredible voice!! In fact, one night while I was working in the 24-hour Business Link, Susie sang Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep,' and I nearly fell off my chair! :) She was SO amazing! If you are booked at this Embassy Suites on a Monday night, you are in for a real treat!

The food at breakfast and during the Manager's Reception is always fresh, very tasty, and the selection of wine, beer, mixed drinks and soft drinks is fantastic. They even have sangria! Finally, I will add that I am a freelance writer, so I'm always working at odd hours. I love that I can work out in the 24-hour gym or enjoy coffee, fruit and muffins while sitting on the couch in front of the lobby fireplace at 4:00 a.m. (The coffee is excellent!) I also enjoy going for a swim or relaxing in the jacuzzi between 12:00 - 3:00, when the hotel is nice and quiet!

Downtown Portland and the Maine Mall are SO close, the airport is right around the corner, and the spacious, two-room suite (with a door that separates the two rooms) is the perfect solution for our needs. The rooms are always clean and the beds are EXTREMELY!!! comfortable!

Finally, I'm sure most people who stay at the hotel have cars, but we currently rely on public transportation. If you want to head into Portland without driving, the local Portland Metro bus stop on the #5 line is opposite the front of the hotel. We also appreciate the Embassy Suites van pick-up when we are arriving and departing at the Portland Transportation Center, which serves Amtrak and Concord Coach Lines. (I also noticed that there is a car rental place located directly across from the hotel! Very convenient!)

Whatever your needs may be-- personal, business or simply for a vacation, I VERY highly recommend the Embassy Suites in Portland, Maine.

Room Tip: NOTE: As I understand it, the double bed rooms face the front of the hotel-- and the rooms with king...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Stephanie L M
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Dear Stephanie LM,

Wow! I'm not sure where to begin but thank you! I really appreciate your in depth review of your stay with us and I especially love that you took the time to mention by name so many of the staff members who have made your stay outstanding. I not only posted your wonderful review on our guest feedback board but all of the people mentioned were very thankful for your recognition (including me).
It has been our pleasure to host you and your mother during your time in Portland and are glad that you have been able to be at home while away from your home.
Thank you again for making our day and we hope to see you again soon!

Yours in hospitality,

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Good service. Good amenities. Ample room. Big parking lot. Restaurant on site. Easy walking distance to the airport terminal. Far bettter than typical for a hotel adjacent to an airport. Perfect airport hotel at an acceptable price.

Room Tip: All the rooms are substantially the same. Hotel is adjacent to the airport, so you can have a view o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Joycandoit,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review from your recent stay with us. We love to have fellow Mainers stay and review us and I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel. While we are certainly within walking distance we also have a 24 hour shuttle to and from the airport.
I will look forward to seeing you on your next overnight to Portland!

Reviewed 7 March 2013

This is a lovely hotel located close to the airport. Airport noise was not an issue at all. Check in was easy thanks to the front desk staff. We missed the evening reception but we were informed at check in of all the services offered within the hotel. There is a lovely restaurant near the lobby that offers a nice supper menu, pleasant staff, and a peaceful atmosphere. The breakfast was the best complimentary breakfast I have ever seen offered in a hotel! The staff in the breakfast room are efficient and helpful. The pool has extra late evening swim times for adults only. The pool water was chilly, but the hot tub was super hot! There was some paint chipping visible in the hot tub.

We booked a suite for 6 (3 adults and 3 children). The room had 2 double beds and a sleeper sofa but the room only provided 3 pillows on each of the 2 beds (ie. 6 square pillows in total for the room). There were no extra pillows or standard size pillows in the room closet or drawers. When we asked for more pillows, we were told we could only have 2 more
pillows (?). Not sure if that was our communication issue but we managed with what we had. I doubled checked our reservation to make sure they understood we were paying for 6 people in the room. I would stay here again, but I will be sure to bring my own pillow.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Dear Glory4him,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review from your recent stay with us! I truly appreciate your kind words about the hotel, staff, restaurant and breakfast. I will be sure to pass it along to the team!
I would like to apologize to you for the pillow rationing you described. This is not in any way our policy and I will be bringing this to the attention of the housekeeping and front office to make sure it does not happen again.

I look forward to seeing you again should you travel back to the Portland area!

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Everything was awesome.......clean, friendly, helpfull. I was in smoking section........it wasn't as bad as i feared..........bring your own febreeze to be on the safe side....I was on the side by the airport.....on 3rd floor. no noise from planes. only thing that would make it better would be a bell boy at front door to help with luggage....

Room Tip: My room on the 3rd floor was great, clean, loved the little living room...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Julie86862,

Thank you so much for your great review from your recent stay with us! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I appreciate your feedback about the smoking suite. Our staff is available to assist with luggage so on your next visit you can ask the front desk. They will be happy to help!

I look forward to welcoming you back with us the next time you travel to Portland!

Reviewed 3 March 2013

This hotel holds a special place in my heart as I stayed here the first night of my honeymoon before getting on a plane the next day. It is very conveniently located right next to the airport. They offer shuttle service to the airport, or they also have stay and park packages.
The managers reception is a great feature as well. A couple free drinks, and great appetizers included. Rooms were perfect and well protected from airport sounds. I do not hesitate to stay here anytime I will be leaving from Portland Jetport.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Dear Veronica M,

Thank you so much for your wonderful 5 Star review from your recent stay with us. I love to hear about guests returning and we love being part of a special event such as your honeymoon! We look forward to seeing you again the next time you travel to the Portland area and thank you again for staying with us!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Good location next to airport - easy access. The rooms were great and would stay again. We were running a bit behind schedule on checkout and extending our checkout time was no problem...check in was quick after a long day...much appreciated.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Dear augustandbijoux,

Thank you for your 5 star review from your recent stay with us. I'm so pleased to hear that we were able to get you into your suite quickly and could extend your checkout a bit for you also. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope we will see you again soon.

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed 19 February 2013

This complimentary breakfast comes with a superb omelet chef ready to create freshly cooked eggs with a wide selection of added ingredients. All other foods on the breakfast buffet are hot and fresh. Also, the Manager's Reception (free) is a great way to begin unwinding. The cocktails actually taste great and the snacks aren't bad either.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cgreenie

Dear cgreenie,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review from your recent stay with us. Many of our guests enjoy the cooked to order omelets and nightly managers reception which are always included in our room rates. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I'll be sure to pass along your praise to our talented omelet chef.

I hope we will see you again the next time you travel to the Portland area.

Best Regards,