“Great location in Portland”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We arrived very late one Friday night at Portland, ME Airport Embassy Suites.

Check in was very quick and the desk clerk was very helpful and gave us a quick explanation of hotel.
This Embassy Suites is not like the ‘normal’ Embassy suites as it does not have an atrium. However all other amenities remain consistent.

Breakfast the next morning was quite good. They had an omelet station where you could have chef prepare an omelet or other egg dishes. The other food was quite good and there was plenty of room for the patrons. Breakfast the following days also remained good.

Room was a little smaller than normal Embassy suites. There was not a table to sit at if you wanted to eat as a family in your room. However, there was plenty of room. We had a king bed that was quite comfortable.

Housekeeping was good with no issues. Common areas were small but very well appointed.

Location at the airport is very convenient. We rented a car so I did not use the airport shuttle but there was one available.

Overall a very good location to explore both north and south of Portland. If we return to Portland we would definitely stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear colt07,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay in February. We really appreciate your kind words about the staff, amenities and facility. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 8 July 2013

My family travels a lot for hockey and this hotel welcomed our hockey team which says a lot with a bunch of young boys running around.
The breakfast chef was excellent - very friendly and the waitstaff for breakfast very friendly.
Room service food was also very good.
Front desk had 2 very nice people, Michael and another woman who I didn't get her name but helped the boys. Other than those two, the other front desk workers were just OK - not overly friendly and when asked for additional toiletries & coffee, it seemed as if I was bothering them. At $150/nite, I should get as much coffee for my room as I want.
Entire hotel very clean but housekeeping in rooms was not up to par. 1st day stay they only made the beds, didn't replace the toiletries (shampoo, etc). I had to ask for additional. Another family staying didn't even have their room cleaned the first day. the second day the housekeeper came and when asked to give extra coffee, she gave me one extra.
Overall the experience was good. I have stayed at some other chain hotels that were not nearly as clean as this one.
3 floor was pet friendly and smelled a bit like smoke, air freshener and not sure what else but I got used to it. Would recommend asking for a non-pet friendly floor.
Gym was very clean
Did not use pool.
Good location.

Room Tip: Non-pet friendly floor, unless you have a pet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Hope M,

Thank you so much for your honest feedback on your recent stay with us. We were glad to welcome your group and it seemed like everyone enjoyed their time in Portland. I would like to offer my apologies on the issues you described in our housekeeping and front desk departments and I want to assure you that I have addressed your concerns with the department managers to remedy.
I really appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention and am glad to see this did not impact your total impression of your stay. We hope to have your group back again next July and perhaps even see you sooner!

All the best,

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We opted to stay at the airport, rather than the centre of Portland, in order to save money and get a bigger room. We were not disappointed with the the Embassy Suites. Very friendly staff and really nice guest rooms. The hotel was completely sold out and the staff struggled to cope with the breakfast. However that did not detract from our stay and we have no hesitation recommending this hotel.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
EmbassyPortlandGM, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2015

Dear UK John N,

Thank you for posting your kind review on Tripadvisor, we truly appreciate it. We're pleased that you had a pleasant stay and that our staff was able to provide you with such outstanding service. We hope to see you again, whenever your travels lead you back to the Portland area.

Warmest Wishes,
Timothy Prosser
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights - from 6/28 - 7/2 and we enjoyed it very much. The hotel itself and the rooms are definitely a tad smaller than other Embassy Suites, but it was still very nice. Our room was extremely clean and cleaned well every day, so no complaints at all there! Everyone was very friendly and the breakfast was really good each day. The manager's reception was also really good with a lot of choices! We stayed on the airport side and it was nice to get a view of the runway. We could very faintly hear the planes taking off, but it really is no big deal and I am a very light sleeper. My only complaint would be the a/c units in the room. They are SO NOISY. I actually turned the one off in the bedroom part and kept it on in the living room part - and I could still hear it, but it was better. Other than that, we would probably stay here again. Lot's to see and do in Portland and the surrounding area and this is in a really good location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2013

For two women with auto problems and bad weather and many miles behind us, this was such a pleasure to arrive at for a nites stay. Our room was spacious and immaculate---as was the rest of the hotel. I could have spent the nite in the lobby as the furniture was sooooooo comfortable.
Had some dinner which was quite good plus it was HOT. Breakfast(included with the price of the room) was great. The young Asian fellow made the best egg omlette ever and never flipped one on the floor---he was the entertainer of the day!
Stop here---you'll be glad you did!

Room Tip: Our room had a sitting area with a full size TV. We were on the side near the airport but never hea...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank HILDA S V
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Embassy Suites Portland-June 19-22. I like Hilton and stay whenever I can. I chose this location as a matter of convenience. I might give it another try when I go back to Maine, but I might try someplace else, based on my experience. Seems I had a run of bad luck.

The hotel common is very clean and it is comfortable. The staff is warm and friendly, and the breakfast is very well done. As with another reviewer, the house cleaning that I got was spotty. The air conditioning was a bit on the noisy side but the biggest problem I had was the diffuser on the wall unit next to the bed blows cold air (or hot I suppose in winter) right on you while sleeping. I tried putting a towel over it, but the final fix was to turn it off in the bedroom and leave the one in the living area to do the work.

There was no “do not disturb” sign, I went to the front desk and got one. Got settled in, only to find the remote was dead…went to the front desk to get another. My room entry card was programmed wrong so when I came back late on the 2nd night with my arms full, I was locked out…went to get my card fixed.

When I went to bed the first night, the sheets had something on them…small black spots – not stain, but something that could be picked off and moved around…NOT bugs or alive…but bothersome nonetheless. I figured they would be changed. My own fault, I didn’t see the sign that says…put this sign on the pillow if you want your sheets changed. The second morning I did put the sign. They still were not changed. I called the desk…and Julie brought me a full set of clean sheets (9:30 at night). She even offered to change them for me but I opted to change them myself.

The Kleenex container in the bathroom was empty. When it was changed, I found 3 tissues in the bottom of the container and a very pretty origami tissue coming out the top. That didn’t help. I mentioned this to someone the next morning – and when I came back that night, the same thing…just 3 tissues.

The shower curtain/tub area smelled musty but seemed to clear as the days passed…

Little things can make or break a trip – and this stay seemed to be just one little thing after another, rather disappointing I think. Overall, I’d stay again, hoping the next visit might be a bit better because everything else was good.

One last thing, don’t let the fact that the airport is literally, right there, stop you…this property is incredibly quiet inside despite aircraft coming and going. AND, you can walk from the lobby to the airport terminal very easily – this is a definite plus for location.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Larry L

Dear Larry L,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our property. I am so sorry to hear that we missed the boat on the details you described which affected your overall stay. Our team really strives to make every experience the best we can and from your review I can certainly see why you were disappointed.
I would very much like to make it up to you and show you that we can do this right. Please contact me at Stacy.OReilly@hilton.com or 207-482-4360 so we can speak in more detail.

I appreciate your honesty and hope to connect with you soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Loved the Manager's Reception--an event each evening where there is live music in the lobby, appetizers, and an open bar. Delicious omelets made-to-order at breakfast buffet. Suite was lovely. Beds were not to our liking in terms of comfort for sleeping. Staff was genuinely friendly and helpful. Very happy that the pool and hot tub were open until midnight.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple