“Great value!”

Fireside Inn & Suites Portland
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We were in Portland for one night. Because it was a Sunday I assumed there would be availability. Unfortunately, every hotel I went to was sold out. I went to the Fireside expecting them to be sold out too. They did have a room and in fact accepted my coupon which took the rate for $149 to $79! The staff were hit or miss, some friendlier than others, but the room and the facilities were excellent. Very clean and comortable room with nice beds. It has a very nice pool and hot tub. The location is very close to downtown, just off 95. The breakfast was great except for that New England brand coffee - it's terrible when you buy it in the stores too. Portland itself was a little boring, but the hotel was great!

Reviewed 12 August 2012

The Fireside Inn is quite pleasant on the outside and the main lobby is quiet and inviting. There are a few other nice things to say, but that is not why you are reading this. Here is a list of things that will make you want to stay somewhere else.

1. The beds are horrible (not comfortable and way too small)
2. The shower head is way too low for anyone over 5 feet
3. The breakfast was poorly stocked and lackluster
4. The pool was super dirty
5. Security was a joke, all access doors had unsecured entry during most of the day (note to fireside - make people use a card reader).
6. Unfortunately, the front desk staff... not overly friendly. Not all were unfriendly, but the few that were did not make up the difference.

It almost seemed like the Inn was running out of money and is just waiting to close it's doors. They really need a major overhaul, renovations and staff. Sorry, but the truth hurts!

Room Tip: If you do end up staying here, ask for the courtyard side.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TheFourTravelers
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I booked this hotel through Expedia as a reasonably priced 3 star hotel in Portland Meine. I paid about $130.00 and thought i was going to be in a 3 star hotel. I got there after dark and the outside and lobby looked nice, so i thought the same could be expected on the room. First on the way to the room, the hallway smelled of stale cigarette smoke. Then I got to the room and it looked as dingy as the hallway. The carpets were worn and joints frayed. I had requested for two double beds but I would not say that what was in the room was a double. My wife and I could hardly comfortably fit on the bed. I have not seen a full bed in many years until this hotell. They advertise their rooms as having two double beds but they are really two full beds.

If I could avoid at all I would not stay at this hotel again. I was NOT worth $130.00 let alone the $177.00 price i was offered on the phone before finding it on Expedia on discount.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank James A
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Hello,

We stayed at the Fireside Inn and Suites in Portland Maine recently and just wanted to take a moment to tell you what wonderful staff you have. Carrielynn Frost and Tonya Cunningham specifically were shining examples of hospitality in the industry. I dealt with them borth several times and they were nothing but gracious, and helpful. We needed shuttles to several places, which they summonded upon request, all of the housekeeping needs were met when I called, and my daughters loved them (fashionistas, you know) and they were very pleasent. I see the types of things hotel employees deal with on a daily basis and these women take it in stride and handle it with grace and professionalism (example, an online booking went wrong, and even though it wasn't Carrie's fault, or problem, she dealt with it like a champ). Please pass this along to your managers.. Keep these girls. They've got it!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lola_P60750
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed at the Fireside Inn & Suites for five days this summer in a King sized room. Our room was very clean and nice. We loved the outdoor pool and swam in it every day we were there. We used the indoor pool once. Both pools were clean and there was always clean towels by the pool. The hotel staff were all very nice and friendly. Everywhere you went you saw someone from the hotel. We ate at the hotel restaurant the first night of our stay. The food was good but my husband was disappointed to find out there were no free refills on the soda. Our room was quiet. You could hear the people next door in their bathroom when we were in ours, but that was all we heard while there. My only complaint was our bed. When I laid on it, it felt like my head was lower then the rest of my body. My husband got use to the bed and slept fine after the first night but I had a hard time. Every night we sat outside on the glider chairs and just enjoyed the night. It was a very nice and relaxing stay for us!

Room Tip: Stay in a room poolside as they are away from the road!
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We booked this room through Expedia. I guess that was my first mistake. Although my email reservation clearly stated non-smoking, we were placed in a smoking room. When I went downstairs to the front desk to explain and show the front desk staff this discrepancy, Carrie the manager, said that they were sold out and there was nothing they could do, because the reservation came in as "best available" from the internet. Expedia called and Carrie gave the same nasty, unforgiving response to them as well.
The room was disgusting. Wallpaper peeling off the wall, hair in the bathroom, and weird dust bunny things on the ceiling.
I could not wait to get out of this hotel in the morning.
All this for $135 a night!
This hotel is billed as a 3 star hotel according to Expedia/Hotwire, it is maybe a 1.5 star hotel at best. I've stayed in cleaner, nicer Motel 6s.
Also this hotel is a 15-20$ cab ride to Portland proper, so consider that in your booking, you will spend 40$ getting to and from the hotel.

5  Thank nfgurlie
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The room smelled of urine,there was a dirty sock on the floor behind tv, hair in tub, mould on ceiling and in bathroom, plastic clothing tags on floor under the bed. The room was so damp that the carpet felt wet, the bedding felt wet, paper shopping bags were soft and damp by next morning and upon returning home, even the clothes in our suitcases were damp.We tried opening the window for our entire stay, running the fan and air conditioner on various settings, but it didn't remedy the situation. There were never enough towels left in the room, and once there were actually none, even the clean, unused towel was taken. I booked this "Top Secret deal" online based on the amenities, star ratings, and hotel comparisons, as a result, it was non-fundable and the hotel was booked full, so we were stuck with this room for 4 days. It did not compare to Hilton Doubletree or Hampton Inn as the website said it would.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SherryL453
firesideinnportland, Front Office Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay with us this summer. We are sorry to hear you were unhappy with your accommodations. If any housekeeping concerns are communicated to our staff we work hard to remedy them immediately. Your comfort is our biggest priority. We hope that during your stay you were able to enjoy and take advantage of the free breakfast, Wifi, and pool areas, and will try us again in the future.