We booked a room at Fireside Inn & Suites through one of the websites like Travelocity, don't remember which one I used. When we got to the hotel, we were given a room on the first floor, next to the ice machine and exit door to the parking lot. Not an ideal location, but we didn't plan on using the room for anything than a place to sleep and shower. However, the room also had an unpleasant smell to it that I couldn't tolerate. So, back to the front counter we went to request a different room. We were told that the rate we paid only went for rooms in that area of the hotel and if we actually expected a quiet room it would cost us another $25. It wasn't expressed in those exact words, but the sentiment came across anyway.
We paid the extra money and were given an interior room on the second floor. Somewhat better, the unpleasant smell gone and it was quieter. So, I was happy and we went off to explore Portland.
After a day of sightseeing, we came back to our room after 10. Got inside, watched the news for a bit, then turned down the bed for the night only to find that the sheets were very damp. The feeling was disgusting, like being wrapped in plastic. I can only surmise that this hotel employed the practice of putting sheets on the beds still damp from the laundry to keep the wrinkles out. They need to stop that right away. Too tired to go back to front desk to ask for dry sheets, we tried to get comfortable enough to sleep in a wet bed. It didn't happen and we got very little rest.
Next morning, we got up to shower before heading down for the continental breakfast. I will give kudos for the bathroom there. The shower had plenty of water pressure, a well placed shower head and almost instant hot water. There was complimentary toiletries from Bath & Body Works in a very pleasant scent.
Showered and dressed and feeling a little better, we went down to the free breakfast, which was a little disappointing. I expect lots of breads, pastries and fruit at most hotels, but they will also throw in small amounts of proteins such as peanut butter or scrambled eggs. Not this place. Wall to wall sugary carbs. Not diabetic friendly. We chose milk, coffee and buttered wheat toast. They did have a restaurant on site that serves breakfast, but we decided to skip that. I think we made a mistake.
I would not stay at this hotel again if they paid me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We offer today’s features with yesterday’s charm. Just minutes from the Portland Jetport and situated directly off I-95 Exit 48, our travel-friendly location is easily accessible. With its comfortable rooms, courtyard views and hospitality, the Fireside Inn & Suites Portland is the ideal choice for you and your family while visiting the Greater Portland Area.While staying with us, we invite you to enjoy Zackery’s Fireside Restaurant for dinner and evening entertainment. Our menus appeal to a wide set of tastes and we are extremely proud of our Staff. Please browse them at your leisure. We serve breakfast, dinner and wonderful desserts! We also have a full bar in Zack’s Club Lounge and offer drink specials for Happy Hour. We are pretty creative with martinis too! Whether you are joining us for business or pleasure, we are waiting for you! While you are here, why not relax by our Lobby Fireplace. Enjoy our late afternoon complimentary fresh coffee right here! Stay with us and each guest will receive a FREE Isamax Snacks Wicked Whoopie Pie! The Whoopie Pie is Maine’s Official State Treat (officially becoming law on September 28, 2011)! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fireside Inn & Suites Portland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fireside Inn & Suites Portland Hotel Portland
- Fireside Inn And Suites Portland
- Holiday Inn Portland
- Portland Holiday Inn
- Fireside Inn & Suites Portland Maine