“Wonderful wedding, horrible desk service!”

Fireside Inn & Suites Portland
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My son and daughter-in-law just got married at the Fireside Inn. Laura, the wedding planner was attentive and quietly-in-charge and the food was delicious. My complaint is with the front dest staff. Not only were they rude during the ceremony, speaking so loudly as to have one of the attendees walk over to ask them to be quieter, they had difficulties connecting me through during a phone call....at least tries with only an apology from the front-desk-manager with a "What do you want me to do about it? attitude. She refused to recognize my concern that, had it been an emergency, it would have been much worse. And, as I made it clear I had not been connected, the desk person should have asked for help. Yes, I was frustrated as I was trying to link up with a relative for breakfast, but more importantly, where was the customer service? A "I am so sorry. I will make sure she will learn to the transfer the phones" would have gone miles. Or better yet, on my fourth phone call, I discovered that my relative had already checked out. That would have been helpful knowledge. I asked the front desk manager if the manager of the hotel would please call me as I didn't appreciate their attitudes, and she said, "No. No one will call. This doesn't warrant a call. We didn't transfer you. We're sorry. That's it." and hung up. Her attitude was curt and insincere. Thank goodness for Laura and the Chef for balancing the front desk's poor customer service. I would think twice about recommending the hotel as most guests are not going for the food or a wedding.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
firesideinnportland, Front Office Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Thank you for your review of the Fireside Inn & Suites Portland. I hope you will accept my personal apologies, again, for your phone call not transferring through. Sometimes, for reasons we don’t know, calls are dropped when we try to transfer them to a room. It could have been an error of the operator or an error with the actual phone system. When we spoke I did apologize several times, as I completely understand the frustration this brought to you. I am sorry if you felt I was not sincere in this apology, and I’m sorry you think I hung up on you, which I did not. I appreciate the kind words about our sales staff and banquet service. I will make sure to pass it on.

Reviewed 25 December 2012

Stopped here on a business trip. Very affordable. You get what you pay for. Very friendly staff and clean room. I was not a fan of the breakfast and the coffee maker in the room was broken. Staff was great though and for Portland, great value.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
firesideinnportland, Front Office Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Fireside Inn and Suites in Portland. It’s good to hear you enjoyed your room and our friendly staff. Our continental breakfast, which is included with every room, offers cold items such as pastries, fruit, cereal, etc. We are sorry if this selection disappointed you, and hope next time you’ll give our restaurant a try, as they also serve a full hot breakfast. We recently upgraded all of our coffee makers in all our rooms to Keruigs. All the units are brand-new, and sometimes our guests have difficulty operating them. We apologize if you were not able to get it working; we have printed directions at the front desk to help in the future. We also have complimentary coffee available in our lobby each day. We are happy to know you found us of great value and look forward to seeing you again in the new year!

Reviewed 16 December 2012

I stayed here with some friends during Labor Day weekend. After we checked in, we were given a small gift of a Whoopie Pie each (which I devoured immediately after the long bus ride we had). The hotel had two pools, a lovely outdoor patio area, and free continental breakfast. There's a free shuttle to the bus station too, if you inquire at the front desk about it. The only downside was that it was not walking distance to downtown Portland. But overall, I enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
firesideinnportland, Front Office Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us during the busy holiday weekend. We are happy to hear you enjoyed yourself and enjoyed our amenities. Our hotel is located only a few miles from the downtown area, and right off the highway for easy access to other destinations. It is our pleasure to take guests to and from the airport, bus station, and train station in Portland. Our restaurant serves a hot breakfast and dinner, and we also offer a complimentary continental breakfast. Please come back and visit soon, we’ll save some Whoopies for you!

Reviewed 11 December 2012

My husband and I visited Portland in late August. When looking at hotels, the prices for those on the Waterfront were outrageous!! There's no way in spending $200+ a night to stay in Portland. The Fireside Inn is very close to downtown Portland (10-15 minutes) and significantly cheaper. While it's certainly not a fancy hotel by any stretch of the imagination, for the amount of time we were there, it met our needs.
There is an indoor pool as well as an outdoor pool, which was nice. There's a covered outdoor patio and a small gazebo. Also they had a band in the bar on Saturday night and there were a good amount of people there.

Room Tip: There was construction going on when we visited and of course we were put in the room next door. The...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us during August. We are happy to hear we met your needs while you explored Portland, ME. Our hotel is located only a few miles from the downtown area, and right off the highway for easy access to other destinations. We typically have a live band play in our lounge, Zack’s, every Friday evening. During the summer our outdoor heated pool is open for guests to enjoy, as well as the patio and gazebo. We’re glad you enjoyed yourself and enjoyed our amenities. Please come back and visit soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

Stayed here when transiting to a family camping trip. Nice outdoor pool, which was used pretty heavily in the evening, decent continental breakfast. Room was clean and relatively quiet given location relative to the highway. We would stay again. Easy to find, right off the highway, close to a grocery store etc.. if just transiting through like we were

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
firesideinnportland, Front Office Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us about your stay at the Fireside Inn Portland. We are glad to know you enjoyed all of our amenities. Our outdoor and indoor pools are both heated, a rare find in the Portland area! We hope to see you again on future travels!

Reviewed 7 November 2012

We booked a room at Fireside Inn & Suites through one of the websites like Travelocity, don't remember which one I used. When we got to the hotel, we were given a room on the first floor, next to the ice machine and exit door to the parking lot. Not an ideal location, but we didn't plan on using the room for anything than a place to sleep and shower. However, the room also had an unpleasant smell to it that I couldn't tolerate. So, back to the front counter we went to request a different room. We were told that the rate we paid only went for rooms in that area of the hotel and if we actually expected a quiet room it would cost us another $25. It wasn't expressed in those exact words, but the sentiment came across anyway.

We paid the extra money and were given an interior room on the second floor. Somewhat better, the unpleasant smell gone and it was quieter. So, I was happy and we went off to explore Portland.

After a day of sightseeing, we came back to our room after 10. Got inside, watched the news for a bit, then turned down the bed for the night only to find that the sheets were very damp. The feeling was disgusting, like being wrapped in plastic. I can only surmise that this hotel employed the practice of putting sheets on the beds still damp from the laundry to keep the wrinkles out. They need to stop that right away. Too tired to go back to front desk to ask for dry sheets, we tried to get comfortable enough to sleep in a wet bed. It didn't happen and we got very little rest.

Next morning, we got up to shower before heading down for the continental breakfast. I will give kudos for the bathroom there. The shower had plenty of water pressure, a well placed shower head and almost instant hot water. There was complimentary toiletries from Bath & Body Works in a very pleasant scent.

Showered and dressed and feeling a little better, we went down to the free breakfast, which was a little disappointing. I expect lots of breads, pastries and fruit at most hotels, but they will also throw in small amounts of proteins such as peanut butter or scrambled eggs. Not this place. Wall to wall sugary carbs. Not diabetic friendly. We chose milk, coffee and buttered wheat toast. They did have a restaurant on site that serves breakfast, but we decided to skip that. I think we made a mistake.

I would not stay at this hotel again if they paid me.

Room Tip: Ask for an interior room rather than a parking lot view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carolyn B
firesideinnportland, Front Office Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us at the Fireside Inn & Suites Portland. We are sorry to know you summarized this stay as your last. We are glad to hear you were able to get an upgraded, quiet room, and enjoyed our Bath and Body Works products. In response to the dampness you felt in your room, sometimes the humidity in the air can cause this when the air conditioning unit is not on the proper temperature. We apologize as it seems this could have been the case; we have staff on property who are able to fix this immediately if they are made aware of such a problem. Rest assured, we have laundry facilities on property and our housekeeping department washes, and dries, all linens before servicing our rooms. We are planning on adding more to our complimentary continental breakfast in the near future, in effort to provide more variety and value to our guests. Our restaurant is available, as you noted, for breakfast and dinner items, too. We are always looking for ways to improve so thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

Visiting from England with my wife and daughter, we managed to get lost in the dark motoring around Portland looking for a hotel and became anxious.
We asked for accommodation advice from a kind lady who recommended the Fireside Inn close by.We were received with a warm welcome at the very large and well equipped Inn.
Our room was excellent and clean, the evening meal delicious, breakfast plentiful.Coffee great.
Swimming pool also very welcome.
This is a friendly place and good value.
We recommend Fireside for travellers. Very good location.

Room Tip: The rooms are spacious. Go for rooms not facing the road.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
firesideinnportland, Front Office Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

We appreciate your feedback, and thank you very much for the kind words. We are happy to hear we met all your expectations and made you feel at home. Our goal at the Fireside Inn and Suites Portland is to provide superior service and hospitality, as well as good, clean rooms. We try to provide the best value with our complimentary breakfast, Wi-Fi, shuttle service, and friendly faces. Our restaurant staff will be pleased to know you enjoyed your meals while staying here, we all hope you will choose to stay with us again in future travels!