This hotel was a Holiday Inn which became a Fireside about 4 1/2 years ago we were told. There are some fun bits still around testifying to it's past (including Holiday Inn labels on the duvet covers) but the mangement and ownership have done a super job of maintaining the place and adding to it. The pools (indoor and out) are great, the courtyard and gazebo are a fun addition, and they have a free continental breakfast complete with (really!) a pancake machine which with a push of a button spits out a fresh pancake in about 60 seconds! Staff in the dining room are especially friendly, and Andre who is one of the managers really goes out of his way! As far as the room, it was more than adequate with a real desk and work area, nice bathroom (though housekeeping was a bit spotty with some days us getting two towels as we were two people and other days one but a call or stop at the maid's cart remedied that quickly). The room was OK clean (though we do wish they'd check behind the curtains and dust and vacuum back there a bit more often as we seemed to step on odds and ends when we went there to open or close the drapes) and there also was an issue with checking things between guests. We opened the mini-fridge to find the previous guest left us a half-eaten container of ice cream in the freezer! The above said please do NOT get any ideas this place is less-than-great because it is very nice, was our "home" for a week while working in Portland and we'd for sure stay again. Even the guest coin laundry was clean, convenient and a life-saver when the underwear ran out!
The only real downside (and management said "we hear this a LOT") is that the WiFi is TERRIBLE. It is free and sometimes one gets what one pays for. This is such a case as connection speeds were widely varied, and often there was a failure to connect at all. Add to that things like being cut off between downloads of e-mails (remember we were here to work in Portland) and having to call a "tech support" number when we phoned the desk about the WiFi a couple times when it refused to work at all and finding the tech support was in India or somewhere and not able to understand much English added to the frustration! I feel the desk or management should deal with tech support---not the guests!!! We were told by staff when we mentioned the WiFo issue that they "have spent a lot" on upgrdes and perhaps that's so but regardless, it failed to work much of the time, failed to work right all of the time and in our room often quit totally. It was nice to have an excuse to use the great pools (one indoors and one out) but the boss was none too happy with our lack of follow-ups on e-mails and internet work as it simply would not let us log on much of the time.
One final note: The hotel is well-built. A couple buses of under 16-year-old campers and backpackers stayed two of the nights and we did not hear a peep. Even the counsellors apologized at breakfast when they saw us come in and we told them "For what? We did not hear a thing!" If the kids were that loud the hotel's walls were that good. Bravo as we slept great and hope they enjoyed their outdoor experience when they went to local attractions each day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We offer today’s features with yesterday’s charm. Just minutes from the Portland Jetport and situated directly off I-95 Exit 48, our travel-friendly location is easily accessible. With its comfortable rooms, courtyard views and hospitality, the Fireside Inn & Suites Portland is the ideal choice for you and your family while visiting the Greater Portland Area.While staying with us, we invite you to enjoy Zackery’s Fireside Restaurant for dinner and evening entertainment. Our menus appeal to a wide set of tastes and we are extremely proud of our Staff. Please browse them at your leisure. We serve breakfast, dinner and wonderful desserts! We also have a full bar in Zack’s Club Lounge and offer drink specials for Happy Hour. We are pretty creative with martinis too! Whether you are joining us for business or pleasure, we are waiting for you! While you are here, why not relax by our Lobby Fireplace. Enjoy our late afternoon complimentary fresh coffee right here! Stay with us and each guest will receive a FREE Isamax Snacks Wicked Whoopie Pie! The Whoopie Pie is Maine’s Official State Treat (officially becoming law on September 28, 2011)! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Fireside Inn & Suites Portland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fireside Inn & Suites Portland Hotel Portland
- Fireside Inn And Suites Portland
- Holiday Inn Portland
- Portland Holiday Inn
- Fireside Inn & Suites Portland Maine